Electrician Talk banner

Fluro lights with motion sensor ?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Toronto Sparky 
#1 ·
HI,
I helped friend to changes ballast using new electronic ones for F30T12 bulbs, he has motion sensor in his batthrom for this lights and now when it's OFF bulbs still has some leftover small lights , and it's stays at least for 15min, it's full electronic sensor (at least doesn't have a click) when ON.

When you use breaker to turn all power to OFF it's gone, so I assume it caused by this sensor.

ANybody can advice how Fluro Lights works with this sensor ? doesn't it make sence, because looks like his ballasts (old magnetic) lasted 2 years max.

Thanks all
Dai

#2 ·
There are motion sensor switches that can be used with fluorescent fixtures.
But not all of them can. You will have to look at the make and model numbers of the existing switch and see if it is one of them. Otherwise, it should be changed. I use motion sensors in garages all the time. They are also used, by law, in commercial settings.

#3 ·
The load on many motion sensors has to be at least a certain number of watts or the motion sensor will function unpredictibly. Sorry, but it looks like you're either going to have to add load to this switch or shop for a new motion sensor. Get a good brand, like WattStopper.

#6 ·
I've been looking for a while.. I just stuck a 7W Incandescent on a pigtail in the strip fixture.. Makes the lamps last up to three months.. Watt Stopper motions are big bucks!

When looking look for a motion find one that has a neutral and is compatable with electronic ballast or has no MINIMUM wattage requirements.

#8 · (Edited)
And you can recover the cost in 50 or so years.

I don't understand why they don't make a cheap ver.. after all those double par38 motion lights work fine with electronic ballasts (again those motions have a neutral) and they cost under $20 (it may look funny hanging one of them off the washroom light though)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.