Lighting Fixtures - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Forge Boyz
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 1 Post By WronGun

Old 09-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 662
Default Lighting Fixtures

I’m having a hard time trying to update these fixtures. Currently a FL fixture with rough cut-out of 23x9.

Looked at some mainstream brands with no luck. I’ve seen the rectangular housings with 3 adjustable heads inside. I’m looking for something more low profile with led diodes and maybe a reflector for non-direct down lighting. This is a historical museum/visitor center I keep getting directed to cheaper imports on amazon.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 8,986

Does it need to be directional or can it just light the space?
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Does it need to be directional or can it just light the space?

Does not needs to be directional. Currently is a FT40 lamp tucked into the lower corner and a big reflector directing the light downward to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
Does not needs to be directional. Currently is a FT40 lamp tucked into the lower corner and a big reflector directing the light downward to the floor.

What about an LED tube in the existing fixture?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
WronGun likes this.
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
What about an LED tube in the existing fixture?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
One with ballast bypass too! Getting them for less than 10 bucks a piece.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,239

Talk to a local lighting guy. Make those bastids work for a living.

Amazon is not the place for lighting advice.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,451

1+ on the LED retrofit tubes. If that is a no go, install a 1x4 edge lit LED fixture over the existing holes. If you mention @MTW by name, HD will sell them to you at the special Peter D discounted rate of $99.97 each
Take the old fixtures out and throw some lumber in between the existing frame in the ceiling to support the new lights. Leave the white trim/frame in the ceiling
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,969

Another route is the cool replacement system with a driver that has magnets built into the case so installing it is as easy as placing it against the metal frame of the fixture , and it comes with output lines with snap together connectors for the wires going to some led lamp tubes they also produce, which also have rare earth magnets attached so they are placed super fast to the metal skin of the light. Then all you need to do is wirenut to supply power. I've changed out t-bar troffers with this system in 1 minute and just unwire the old ballast and lamps and leave em in place and stuck the other system in right around the old gear and slammed the cover shut . Looks exactly like 48" tubes are installed . They are mental they are so good.
WronGun and chongo like this.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #9

I’ve decided to go for the direct wire FT40 replacements. Easy peasy

jw0445 likes this.