Lighting Relays - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By WronGun
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 2 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 3 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By splatz

Old 09-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 658
Default Lighting Relays

I have a lighting circuit with (16) led UFO lights @100 watts each. I would like to install a Lutron casetta switch kit so all the trucks can have remotes to turn on the shops lights.

Casetta has a 600w max. I’ve wired basic heating relays for 24v/120v LV t-stats. I’m not sure what to use for a 120v lighting circuit. Any suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,330

I believe Lutron has a device that will help with this situation. It has to be wired in line with the dimmer, I believe. I cannot remember what it is called--- old age sucks
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

There are a number of ways I could see it working out ...

If they are all on a single circuit switched at the breaker, you could put that circuit on the contacts of a suitable relay / contactor, and turn the coil on and off with a circuit switched by a Pico.

If they are on several circuits, you might find a multi pole relay that will cover it, you might need a lighting contactor, and again the coil will be energized by the Pico.

I am not sure if there is a limit how many Picos you can pair, if you have more trucks than you can cover with a single Pico it could be an issue, but you could install the bridge and let them control it with an app ... although that's a whole other can of worms.

You could use the Vive system that Kevin E. mentioned in another thread, put relays on every light, or other lighting control system, but that would probably be overkill if this is all they want to do.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,057

Take your choice:

https://www.platt.com/search.aspx?q=...ctor+120v+coil
Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #5

Looks like I just need a basic single pole contactor 120V/20A

Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
There are a number of ways I could see it working out ...

If they are all on a single circuit switched at the breaker, you could put that circuit on the contacts of a suitable relay / contactor, and turn the coil on and off with a circuit switched by a Pico.

If they are on several circuits, you might find a multi pole relay that will cover it, you might need a lighting contactor, and again the coil will be energized by the Pico.

I am not sure if there is a limit how many Picos you can pair, if you have more trucks than you can cover with a single Pico it could be an issue, but you could install the bridge and let them control it with an app ... although that's a whole other can of worms.

You could use the Vive system that Kevin E. mentioned in another thread, put relays on every light, or other lighting control system, but that would probably be overkill if this is all they want to do.
With lutron Caseta and vive, I believe it's 10 pico remotes to 1 switch/relay pack/dimmer OR 1 pico remote to 10 switches, relay packs/dimmers without the bridge/hub.

We have done some lighting contactors before. Some were miltiple 3 or 4 pole contactors and some are 3 pole contactors controlling a whole panel.

I would use the Vive relay with a suitable contactor/relay. The Vive is the commercial line.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 AM   #7
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
I have a lighting circuit with (16) led UFO lights @100 watts each. I would like to install a Lutron casetta switch kit so all the trucks can have remotes to turn on the shops lights.

Casetta has a 600w max. I’ve wired basic heating relays for 24v/120v LV t-stats. I’m not sure what to use for a 120v lighting circuit. Any suggestions ?

How many trucks are there? You may have to install the hub/bridge for it.

Without it, there can only be 10 remotes paired to 1 switch (IIRC).

With the lutron Caseta bridge, the devices have to be within 30' radius of the bridge. Caseta maxes out at 50 devices.

Lutron Vive, using their bridge/hub, the pico remotes communicate directly with the device, and must be within 30' according to the literature.

Fun fact: you can pair the Vive motion sensors to a Caseta switch, but then you cannot use that device on the Caseta bridge. The motions only work with the Vive bridge/hub.

Edit to add: lutron makes a 16 amp rated relay pack and it supports up to 10 pico remotes (I checked the installation guide). See image for details. You may be able to forget the contactor.

splatz and chongo like this.

Last edited by Kevin_Essiambre; 09-14-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Kevin_Essiambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 42

Quote:

Hmm! Need to think about it !
Alexander1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
Beam Me Up Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander1989 View Post
Hmm! Need to think about it !
Please fill out your profile.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,387

You are putting way too much thought into this. Just slap a 20 amp rated rib relay in and control the coil with the Casetta switch.
WronGun likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
You are putting way too much thought into this. Just slap a 20 amp rated rib relay in and control the coil with the Casetta switch.

This was my first thought , but the rib relays I looked at online have a low voltage side. I would need 120 on both sides.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
This was my first thought , but the rib relays I looked at online have a low voltage side. I would need 120 on both sides.
RIB and just about all brands have models with 120V coils.

This one you can put 24VAC, 24VDC, or 120VAC on the coil:

https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIBT2401B.pdf

Last edited by splatz; 09-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
WronGun (09-26-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Functional Devices has a good article

https://www.functionaldevices.com/ab...ontact-rating/

Quote:
What are examples of electronic ballast loads? All the new LED drivers on the market fall into the electronic ballast category. That would include the LED bulbs that you can purchase at any home improvement supplies retailer. Many AC to DC power supplies or converters may be considered a type of electronic ballast, as the electrical components used in the power supplies or converters are similar to the electronic ballast loads. A lot of different loads fall into the AC to DC converter category, so if you have any questions about the type of load you want to control with a relay and which relay to choose, please call us!
Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #14

I’m not that experienced with relays. I’m confused as to how this would get wired?

I have a basic lighting circuit with a line and load on a caseta.

I just want to take the flow off of the caseta switch

Old 10-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

The reason for the relay is because the Caseta switch isn't rated for 1600W. Rather than energize the lights directly, the Caseta will energize the relay coil, the lighting load will be switched by the relay contacts.

So if there's an existing switch, you'd lift the two wires from the switch terminals and connect them to the yellow and orange. That's the contacts to load connection.

The black and red wires of the Caseta switch will connect to wht/black and wht/yellow, those are the coil. Connect the white and green on the Caseta.

Cap the white-blue on the RIB (you don't have 24V) and cap the blue on the Caseta that's for three-way wiring. If you want to make it a little more complicated, you could install the Caseta as a three way and replace the existing switch with a three way, that way no change for people turning lights on and off inside, and you may be able to locate the Caseta in a position where it gets better range to the Picos in the trucks.

Then you just pair the switch and the remotes.

Now when you close the switch with the Pico, the relay coil is energized, and the NO contacts close, and the lights come on.
Kevin_Essiambre and chongo like this.

Last edited by splatz; 10-03-2019 at 07:00 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote