nLight - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By darren79
  • 1 Post By HertzHound

Old 04-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 620
Default nLight

Just starting to get my hands into nLight for the first time, looks like a decent product.

Just trying to figure out if what I am thinking is how it works.

If I have the following
2-NPP16 power packs
1-nPODM 2P DX
2-nPODM 2P

I connect all 5 devices together with CAT5. Will I then be able to control one power pack with the top half of the switches and the second power pack will be controlled by the bottom set of switches.

Will nLight operate these switches as 3 ways and 4ways?

How much more are nLight enabled lights compared to regular fixtures.

Thanks
darren79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 03:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 296

Quote:
I connect all 5 devices together with CAT5. Will I then be able to control one power pack with the top half of the switches and the second power pack will be controlled by the bottom set of switches.
Yes. They will control whatever power packs they are programmed to control

Quote:
Will nLight operate these switches as 3 ways and 4ways?
Yes, if that is how it is programmed. In your example with two power packs, that seems how it would be programmed. If you added another power pack, the top switch could be programmed as a three way, and the bottom switches could be separate single poles.

Quote:
How much more are nLight enabled lights compared to regular fixtures.
I have no idea. I would think they’re more money? Until I read that, I had no idea it was even a thing.

I like nLight. I think it’s a good product. Last one I did was in an all exposed ceiling job. All conduit, even the cat 5e. Two floors. The guy was set up for eight hours of commissioning. He was out of there in two hours. No issues. All cat 5e connections were tested ahead of time and labeled to / from, bridge and room #. It should make it real easy for the next guy. Especially at the bridges.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 620

We do work at the local university and they are updating everything to nLight. Makes it real easy to wire, bring a constant power to your light and daisy chain all lights and controls with cat5. No power packs needed.
HertzHound likes this.
darren79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,428

I really need to learn this stuff.

Most of our work is ag and industrial, so nothing fancier than an astronomic time clock for exterior lighting usually.

I signed up for the nLight and wattstopper online courses though.

Are you guys only installing the wiring and equipment and then having someone else doing the startup and commissioning?

Our other shop does this work regularly, they have a different customer base than we do, and from what I hear they've pretty much self taught themselves how to do it since they have trouble getting programmers in this area.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

They buy the startup/commissioning/programming from the vendor that they buy the equipment through. We install everything. The vendor also supplies shop drawings. This covers everything needed during the submittal phase to the A&E as well as spells out the system and how it’s wired through one line risers, floor plans and device cuts.

Pretty simple. You can deviate from their drawings if it makes it easier to install. Just note it all. It doesn’t really matter what rooms go back to what bridge. Basically each room is its own cat5 circuit. It leaves a bridge and goes to each device in a room and ends. If you had to you could hit other devices. From what I’ve seen and done they just keep it to one room.

Each bridge/splitter has eight ports. 1 and 8 are the ports in and out to the next bridge. 2 through 7 go out to the rooms and dead end there. Even the 1 and 8 port thing doesn’t really matter. The system maps itself. I try and stay to the plans though, for troubleshooting later.
Cow likes this.