Pool lighting certification - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeSparky
  • 2 Post By HackWork
  • 2 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By HackWork

Old 11-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default Pool lighting certification

I’ve been asked by a condo to certify the pool lighting. They sent a certification sheet given by the state health dept.

What they want is the foot candle measurement in and around the pool to ensure the lighting is in accordance with Florida requirements.

I was looking at some meters online, they don’t look too pricey but the Klein one didn’t get a good rating. They some Extech and a bunch of none familiar brands.

Any one use any and have a preference to one?

Last edited by Service Call; 11-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Service Call is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,533

FREE!
https://play.google.com/store/search...=apps&hl=en_US
I have one that does Lux and color temperature i use for lighting all the time. Most modern flagships are waterproof. If you are concerned anyways, put your phone in a freezer bag first.
splatz likes this.
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSparky For This Useful Post:
Service Call (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks. Whole lot of options there. Do you use one ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

Found one at the App Store. Looks pretty decent.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 52

Any recommendations on light meter apps? I've had them but didn't feel they were very accurate.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 241

Remember that you should really have Error & Omission insurance if you certify anything.
pudge565 and splatz like this.
pudge565 (12-02-2019), Service Call (11-28-2019), Southeast Power (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Call View Post
I’ve been asked by a condo to certify the pool lighting. They sent a certification sheet given by the state health dept.

What they want is the foot candle measurement in and around the pool to ensure the lighting is in accordance with Florida requirements.

I was looking at some meters online, they don’t look too pricey but the Klein one didn’t get a good rating. They some Extech and a bunch of none familiar brands.

Any one use any and have a preference to one?
I wouldn’t do this and we do some outrageous projects.
We will typically call out our PE buddy. He will have a friend of his take the readings every square foot.
The PE signs and seals the document.
The customer pays the PE directly.
If there are any deficiencies, the engineer will specify whatever remediation necessary and we quote the customer to install what is needed to make the site conforming.

Bottom line. I don’t know what they need, and I don’t want to be the person they hunt down if there is some kind of accident.
Same thing with parking lots.
drsparky and splatz like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
Service Call (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #8

They did provide a template sheet with the required fc and lux minimums. I don’t think I want to be the one responsible, but I finally got a light meter .

I’m going to tell them they should have an engineer certify the lighting requirements.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Call View Post
They did provide a template sheet with the required fc and lux minimums. I don’t think I want to be the one responsible, but I finally got a light meter .

I’m going to tell them they should have an engineer certify the lighting requirements.
I would also say that if this is a very good customer of yours, and they need a document filled out, I would do it as a one-off. I don't think I would do much more than collect data for someone else to process.

We were asked to do this for a hotel so that they could open the pool after sunset.
They wanted someone to just sign off on it.
I had them bring in an engineer to measure the light levels.
It didn't conform, additional lighting was designed for the remediation and presented to the owners.
They decided to not do the work and keep the pool closed after sunset.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southeast Power For This Useful Post:
Service Call (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 264

I might do this work if I was entirely comfortable with the state's certification sheet, but you really have to make sure your insurance covers you, it's really only fair to your customer, not to mention could save your ass. If I was going to do this, I'd definitely want some compensation for the exposure to liability.

The apps may be great, I haven't compared them side by side with a real meter, but there is no way I'd do this with an app on my phone. If the ship hits the sand and you have to answer questions, do you want to say "yah they called me and I heard there's an app for that so I downloaded it and filled out the sheet." For not much $$ you can get a calibrated light meter, traceable to NIST, that logs results, and lets you save the results, generate a report, etc.

Last edited by splatz; 11-29-2019 at 08:50 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to splatz For This Useful Post:
Service Call (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
I would also say that if this is a very good customer of yours, and they need a document filled out, I would do it as a one-off. I don't think I would do much more than collect data for someone else to.

That was a thought also. Just do a survey of the lighting and let them decide on the engineer or not.
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #12
Work Speaks for Itself

Rewards Points: 202

the biggest thing id be worried about... i dont know how long youve been there for... so you proly dont know the history of the place etc...how confident are you in your own abilities to know how to use a both a multimeter and megger? because if you have to give a report on the safety of any wiring ie lights etc around/in the pool.... you'd better know what your looking for when loooking for faults etc, because ppl are going to die if you **** it up.... lmao sry :/
phamousgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:37 AM   #13
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 241

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamousgrey View Post
the biggest thing id be worried about... i dont know how long youve been there for... so you proly dont know the history of the place etc...how confident are you in your own abilities to know how to use a both a multimeter and megger? because if you have to give a report on the safety of any wiring ie lights etc around/in the pool.... you'd better know what your looking for when loooking for faults etc, because ppl are going to die if you **** it up.... lmao sry :/
You use a multimeter and megger to measure foot candles? Go to sleep you drunk bum.
Service Call likes this.
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,533

Just curious. How accurate was the phone app versus a real meter?
JoeSparky is online now   Reply With Quote