Smaller options for fire rated downlights? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Default Smaller options for fire rated downlights?

In our project we need to have fire rated enclosures for downlights. This did not pose a problem inside, but we also have four outside bay windows. For structural support we sistered on to the existing ceiling joists, which meant we could no longer fit the standard fire enclosures between the joists. As a result, the GC installed surface mount connections, and advised me to get surface mount lights, whereas I would prefer recessed cans.

I see that the UK has myriad options for fire rated cans that don't need separate enclosures, but I cannot find anything like that here in the U.S. The best I've been able to come up with is a 4" fire enclosure, but that would require some surgery.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

If you're an electrician you need to fill out your profile including occupation & location before we're allowed to advise you on this site per the terms of use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME
Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFL View Post
If you're an electrician you need to fill out your profile including occupation & location before we're allowed to advise you on this site per the terms of use.

^^^^^^

What He Said!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

I just dont know which side you are on but the rules do apply in here all the electrician have to get their profile filled in .,,

You will have to see it on top left corner on your screen and it say user CP click on that and fill the required profile info.

The reason why due some states will have different codes it will be covered so just be aware of it.

once you get the basic info filled out the answer will come in pretty good pace once the members are famuair with location.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

Not an electrician, was just looking for some product advice but it sounds like this is not the place for consumers. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 2,170

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmike View Post
Not an electrician, was just looking for some product advice but it sounds like this is not the place for consumers. Thanks for the quick replies.

www.diychatroom.com

or

www.contractortalk.com

May be where you want to be.
frenchelectrican likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #7
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmike View Post
I going to close this thread for now due the OP saying he is not a electrician so Mech did post a link for OP to follow up in other site .,,

Tags
fire prevention, led down lights