Standard lighting strip RGB led issue - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Lighting Design

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Service Call
  • 1 Post By Easy

Old 03-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Having an issue with the remote and the reciever, i think... anyway i installed under cabinet lights having the transformer and reciever under the sink in the cabinet. 3 #18/4 awg lvt for each run to the cabinet lights where i butt spliced to a 4 conductor black green red blue snap strip where i clip into the led strip light itself ( black to 12vdc+, red to red green to green and blue to blue). In the cabinet i cut the reciever from the led strip light it came with and was manufacturered spliced to. I then spliced the 4 conductors from the reciever to the #18 lvt conductors going to the under cabinet lights (black to black which is the 12vdc +, reds to red, green to green , blue to blue.

The issue i have is that the remote corresponding colors i press, do not match what the led strip lights light up to be. (White = purple, green = nothing , red is red, some work some do not. Thoughts?

Last edited by Sparkied; 03-24-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Sparkied is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

Picture of materials
Attached Thumbnails
Standard lighting strip RGB led issue-6338a97d-7e5d-4b4a-a665-d6632566e42a_1585089619643.png   Standard lighting strip RGB led issue-3525cfbc-6fe4-40a9-a1f1-a41e96b88c2c_1585089745483.jpg  
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 38
Default Standard lighting strip RGB led issue

Could you have the jumper flipped?

Have you confirmed the tape works correctly with out the jumper?
Easy likes this.

Last edited by Service Call; 03-24-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Call View Post
Could you have the jumper flipped?

Have you confirmed the tape works correctly with out the jumper?
Double checked the splices at the led tape, i should prolly double check under the cabinet again, now tht i think of it one could be off not creating the green. Just didnt have time check at the end of the day. I did not check to make sure the tape was fine before i cut it to make the splice... that was my mistake lol. But ive done this before without the rgb color strip and its worked everytime. Could harmonics play a factor? I have the lvts coming into a 2 gang box with the line voltage receptacle, i did not put in a metal divider between the 2 cuz i didnt have one..

Last edited by Sparkied; 03-24-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,092

my remote lasted about a year pos
electricguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #6

FIXed, splice in the cabinet, factory wires are soo small hada strip it 2 inches and fold it over itself
Old 03-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,826

Good deal you fixed it. RGB strip lighting is fun to play with. Best practice it to solder all your low voltage leads and run some shrink sleeve over your splices. Lot's of good u-tube videos on how to make splices.
just the cowboy likes this.
Easy is offline   Reply With Quote