Electrical Apprenticeship - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Electrician Employment Classifieds > Looking For Work

Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Electrical Apprenticeship

Hello,

I am looking to get started with an electrical apprenticeship in Fairfield County, CT or outlying areas. I am 31 years old with no formal electrical experience. I have done some basic electrical work within my own home such as replacing light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, replacing outlets and switches. I've also ran conduit and added some additional outlets in my garage.

As mentioned in my introduction post, I'm a former member of the US Air Force, during my time there, I became very adept to working under varying level of stress, learning new skills quickly, adapting to changes on the fly, and completing assigned tasks quickly and efficiently. Most of my civilian work experience has been in sales and management, which has taught me to be very conscious of providing customers and clients with great customer service to ensure repeat business.

I plan on applying with my local IBEW for their apprenticeship program when the applications become available in January 2016. I've also been canvassing my local electrical contractors in search of employment as a helper/apprentice.

Ever since early childhood, I've been fascinated with finding out how things work which led me to usually dismantling my toys to see what made them tick. It's this passion coupled with a desire to earn a living with my hands that fuels my eagerness to become a master electrician.

In closing, I'm searching for an opportunity to show a prospective employer that I can be a valuable, hard working, and reliable employee who shows initiative and enthusiasm to learn this great profession.
Dos522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos522 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to get started with an electrical apprenticeship in Fairfield County, CT or outlying areas. I am 31 years old with no formal electrical experience. I have done some basic electrical work within my own home such as replacing light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, replacing outlets and switches. I've also ran conduit and added some additional outlets in my garage.

As mentioned in my introduction post, I'm a former member of the US Air Force, during my time there, I became very adept to working under varying level of stress, learning new skills quickly, adapting to changes on the fly, and completing assigned tasks quickly and efficiently. Most of my civilian work experience has been in sales and management, which has taught me to be very conscious of providing customers and clients with great customer service to ensure repeat business.

I plan on applying with my local IBEW for their apprenticeship program when the applications become available in January 2016. I've also been canvassing my local electrical contractors in search of employment as a helper/apprentice.

Ever since early childhood, I've been fascinated with finding out how things work which led me to usually dismantling my toys to see what made them tick. It's this passion coupled with a desire to earn a living with my hands that fuels my eagerness to become a master electrician.

In closing, I'm searching for an opportunity to show a prospective employer that I can be a valuable, hard working, and reliable employee who shows initiative and enthusiasm to learn this great profession.
Just an FYI: If you're interested in an apprenticeship in the tri-state region you're going to go to an IBEW union local and apply for an apprenticeship there. If you're looking for immediate employment with a contractor then the position you're seeking is nonunion helper, not apprentice. It's important not to intermingle the terms apprentice with helper as if they were interchangeable.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGuy View Post
Just an FYI: If you're interested in an apprenticeship in the tri-state region you're going to go to an IBEW union local and apply for an apprenticeship there. If you're looking for immediate employment with a contractor then the position you're seeking is nonunion helper, not apprentice. It's important not to intermingle the terms apprentice with helper as if they were interchangeable.
Thanks for the info.

If I may ask for your opinion, other than the union wages and other "benefits" of being in a union, is there a difference in the education and training that you receive? My assumption would be, that it likely depends on the individual, yes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,540

welcome from a fellow vet (navy)
you already have the drive for the job
applying for union is your choice (one i recommend )
and if you can get an apprenticeship pay attention, keep notes, and do your best!
don't be afraid to ask questions and when a journeyman or master gives you some good pointers a thank you goes a long way

Miracle (mere-ack-ull):the aspirations of the indigent, The expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.
gnuuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #5
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Go ahead and apply for the apprenticeship while you're waiting do the following:

Get in to night school for Electrical or general ed
hopefully with the goal for a four year degree
( take some fun classes like learning how to rebuild engines or stuff like that ,hvac,mechanical also)

Continue applying for helper jobs at electrical contractors and electric motor shops

Donate as much time as you can for your or with your local Habitat for Humanity that will give you some good residential exposure ( couple Saturdays a month)

Are you going to go into the Air National Guard or are you done with the service?

Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lep View Post
Go ahead and apply for the apprenticeship while you're waiting do the following:

Get in to night school for Electrical or general ed
hopefully with the goal for a four year degree
( take some fun classes like learning how to rebuild engines or stuff like that ,hvac,mechanical also)

Continue applying for helper jobs at electrical contractors and electric motor shops

Donate as much time as you can for your or with your local Habitat for Humanity that will give you some good residential exposure ( couple Saturdays a month)

Are you going to go into the Air National Guard or are you done with the service?

I've actually been in contact with an Air National Guard recruiter recently. I would be interested in cross-training into a different career field than what I was in previously, something to do with electrical work would be preferable.

I've signed up with my local Habitat for Humanity the Coastal Southern Connecticut chapter, I look forward to participating soon. In the meantime, I keep applying to helper jobs and I'll apply for the IBEW apprenticeship in January. I guess I should also brush up on my algebra....
The Following User Says Thank You to Dos522 For This Useful Post:
Lep (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 02:12 AM   #7
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

don't be afraid to check out some of the electric motor repair facilities around you if they are available
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos522 View Post
I've actually been in contact with an Air National Guard recruiter recently. I would be interested in cross-training into a different career field than what I was in previously, something to do with electrical work would be preferable.

I've signed up with my local Habitat for Humanity the Coastal Southern Connecticut chapter, I look forward to participating soon. In the meantime, I keep applying to helper jobs and I'll apply for the IBEW apprenticeship in January. I guess I should also brush up on my algebra....
Sounds like you have ahead on your shoulders. And yes math/algebra would help
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

I used to love in ct new haven
I moved to nj/ ny area bc I couldn’t find any wrk out their .

But this was 6 years ago I hope things have gotten better .

I actually called local 488 for my brother in ct and asked if their accepting apprentices and they are as of now .

Also ibew has helmets to hard hats
Witch helps vets get into ibew
Try local 90 as well .
Switchgear277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 14
Default ADT - Recruiter

Hi Dos522,

I am a recruiter with ADT. We have two offices in CT. One in Shelton and the other in Wallingford. Please feel free to connect with me. Although I don't currently have an apprentice opening in CT right. We are always looking for qualified individuals like yourself with a passion for this field.

Please feel free to send me your resume for future opportunities. tturpin @ adt.com
ADTRecruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 24,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTRecruiter View Post
Hi Dos522,

I am a recruiter with ADT. We have two offices in CT. One in Shelton and the other in Wallingford. Please feel free to connect with me. Although I don't currently have an apprentice opening in CT right. We are always looking for qualified individuals like yourself with a passion for this field.

Please feel free to send me your resume for future opportunities. tturpin @ adt.com
If he isn't working by now, you don't want him....trust me!

I've been known to make snowflakes whine!
Posts may contain sarcasm and guttural humor!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote