Looking to break into the trade - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Electrician Employment Classifieds > Looking For Work

Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Default Looking to break into the trade

Hello.

I'm an aspiring electrical apprentice. Im looking for electrical jobs in the Chicago land area. This includes Cook, Dupage, and Lake counties. Ive posted a little about myself here. http://www.electriciantalk.com/f3/as...rentice-91913/

Preface: I have no experience with the electrical trade. I'm extremely eager to learn and am very comfortable with physical labor.

Ive worked as a caddy for over 10 years seasonally.
I have a bachelors degree in finance.
I volunteer at the Northern Illinois Food Bank in my spare time.
I have a reliable means of transportation.
I am willing to move and or drive for work. I currently live in west central cook county.

Please PM for resume.
Nextgeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

Sent you a pm
running dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #3
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,929

Well look up a comprehensive electrical electrician program maybe at a local community college.Apply at electric motor shops & electrical contractors may be as a helper.Hook up with your local Habitat for Humanity help them do electrical ,plumbing, hvac, framing whatever they have for you donate as much time as you can.This will help you get some residential construction experience plus it will look good on your resume.

Good luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #4

@ running dummy - resume sent.

@lep - thanks for the ideas. Currently I volunteer at the northern Illinois food bank. I'll look into the habitat for humanity that sounds great.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextgeneration View Post
I have a reliable means of transportation.
Believe it or not, that's your biggest selling point.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to five.five-six For This Useful Post:
mapmd (03-08-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Believe it or not, that's your biggest selling point.
Clearly this is not true. Can we have the mods delete this please? This guy is not a perspective employer.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10,226

Quote:
Clearly this is not true. Can we have the mods delete this please? This guy is not a perspective employer.
Clearly you have never employed anyone because, yes reliable transportation is your biggest selling point.
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 516

Believe it or not next gen that is something that is really important to me. If a new guy can show up everyday, on time and sober, with an eagerness to learn, I am a happy camper.
running dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 614

I'm in northern Indiana . if you want to pm me. I could use some help when it warms up. During the cold season. I can keep some one employed doing property maintenance and drain work
heavysparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 1,353

Quote:
Ditch the attitude or you're going nowhere in this trade. You just got a piece of advice from a guy who has been in the trade for many years and you're telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about?

For your benefit, you need to understand that an apprenticeship means you learn on the job. Your best resource for learning is guys who know what they're doing. If you tell me that what I'm telling you is clearly not true, I will run your sorry ass off the job on the first day.

Five five six is right. Reliable transportation is a huge plus when applying for a job. Ten years as a caddy is not.

Last edited by 99cents; 03-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by running dummy View Post
Believe it or not next gen that is something that is really important to me. If a new guy can show up everyday, on time and sober, with an eagerness to learn, I am a happy camper.
I understand transportation is huge. I know a few people who have had difficulty with getting to and from places because they have no car. Hell ive driven plenty of friends to work before. My parents have always said you have to have a car to do everything in this world so make sure you take care of your car.

I bought my car a year ago brand new. I'd be happy to take a drug test too. I think becoming an electrician will definitely be difficult but also rewarding. But I want to take on the challenge , I want to learn everything I can. At the end of the day ill be able to say I contributed to the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavysparky View Post
I'm in northern Indiana . if you want to pm me. I could use some help when it warms up. During the cold season. I can keep some one employed doing property maintenance and drain work
pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Ditch the attitude or you're going nowhere in this trade. You just got a piece of advice from a guy who has been in the trade for many years and you're telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about?

For your benefit, you need to understand that an apprenticeship means you learn on the job. Your best resource for learning is guys who know what they're doing. If you tell me that what I'm telling you is clearly not true, I will run your sorry ass off the job on the first day.

Five five six is right. Reliable transportation is a huge plus when applying for a job. Ten years as a caddy is not.
Your right about transportation. But I think throwing out job history just because its in an unrelated fields is not correct. My record there is exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Clearly you have never employed anyone because, yes reliable transportation is your biggest selling point.
You know what your right. I didn't think step back and think how many people there are that have car troubles.