2/0 AL SEU in 1 1/2” PVC? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Unread 02-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default 2/0 AL SEU in 1 1/2” PVC?

Newly licensed electrician here. I’ve looked in the code book and I cannot find anything against it.

I have a customer who wants their 150 Amp Service replaced, not upgraded. I’m replacing everything except I want to avoid replacing the schedule 80 1 1/2” PVC conduit from the bottom of the meter pan down to an LB into the house. They sleeved the old service in this as a deck is built around it and is prone to damage.

The 1 1/2” PVC looks brand new and in good shape just to replace it would be a &@“$). They put 2/0 AL SEU in the PVC rather than running individual conductors.

Can they do that? Asking for a friend, just because if I can come behind and do the same it makes my day a hell of a lot easier.
rymanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2020, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If all you are replacing is from the meter up and nothing wrong with the 2/0 SEU, I would leave that alone and just replace the meterbase and whats above.

A Little Short is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 07:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,093

Normally 150A services still use 2" conduit. 1-1/2" is a very odd size for a service, most are either 2" for 150-200A or 1-1/4" for 100A.

I normally run 4/0 SEU cable thru 2" for 200A services. It's a pain getting it thru the LB, but it works. 2/0 SEU cable isn't that much smaller, so I have a feeling it might be a bitch to get thru a 1-1/2" LB.

So the question is what will be harder, getting the cable thru the small existing pipe and LB? Or replacing it with 2"?

Or can you run XHHW conductors?
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,742

I agree that it is tight I would bet that if you went to southwire and got the am of the cable that it would not be compliant. You could replace the seu with 2/0 xxhw and it would be okay especially if you downsize the neutral
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,742

Actually, I am incorrect. Since it is a cable it is treated as 1 conductor so it is compliant however check he LB for the largest conductor allowed.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 530

As Hack said, 1 1/2" is an odd size for services. I do not believe they make an off set PVC connector or a PVC service head for it. Does NJ allow Aluminum inside the house? Some places here only allow it on the outside.

If you do not want to replace the 1 1/2" PVC and the run is short can you use #1 copper SEU? Assuming you have to change the service entrance feeder.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote