Common panel/meter - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree4Likes

Old 07-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 716
Default Common panel/meter

Designing an older 2 family home service upgrade.

Just wondering if we need to add a third meter and common panel. It’s an older home with 2 spiral staircase common areas. It would be a nightmare to break these items out so I’d like to avoid it. Just wondering what the guidelines are regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WronGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,720

See NEC 210.25 (B)

The lighting you mention , any common are smoke alarms, outdoor lighting (if its a common yard etc.) would need to be separately metered.
Used to get away with "owner occupied" but not so much anymore.

Meter will need a bypass.

M E T G A !
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 208

Probably inquire with the power utility first.

Around here, nowadays, getting an extra meter to a resi building or property after-the-fact is next to impossible.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #4

I will check with town and utility.

This service needs a serious redesign. The outside is a tricky mess. Supposedly, the first 2 guys he called walked away. Panels will also need to move 15’. They are currently completely surrounded by plumbing and gas.

While on another call today, semi-temping a service for new vinyl siding for an out of state company mentioned where they are from they don’t allow J channel around a service.

Old 07-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
See you at CBE

Rewards Points: 543

I just did a service the other day on the inspector's day off
2 family with no main outside. Meter socket 3' away from gas meters. Overhead connections can be reached from a 6' ladder on the 2nd floor deck.
Virtually impossible to be compliant for any reasonable amount of money there. It would have to have a stupid high mast or underground.

Lady just wanted her rusty service replaced. I disclaimered myself out of code upgrades and permit fees and just put back the same 2 meter outside service she had with new stuff.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 27,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
I just did a service the other day on the inspector's day off
2 family with no main outside. Meter socket 3' away from gas meters. Overhead connections can be reached from a 6' ladder on the 2nd floor deck.
Virtually impossible to be compliant for any reasonable amount of money there. It would have to have a stupid high mast or underground.

Lady just wanted her rusty service replaced. I disclaimered myself out of code upgrades and permit fees and just put back the same 2 meter outside service she had with new stuff.
Budgets often determine what's at all practical.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:04 AM   #7
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
Virtually impossible to be compliant for any reasonable amount of money there. It would have to have a stupid high mast.
Oh, so a mast like this... i laugh every time I see it.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #8

Does anyone see a problem with me keeping the current riser configuration?

It looks horrible IMO, but I’m limited with options here. My only change would be to try to get more supports and face the weather head away from the window which will also redirect the drip loop away.

Possibly move the POA to the backside corner of the house also.

Last edited by WronGun; 07-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 60

Run a mast through the roof to get it away from the window? It might look silly that high but would probably be neater than doing something goofy around the window.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:29 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
When I see jobs like that, I wonder what the contractor was thinking. I have a hard time to believe that the client would not pay for a UG service.

Perhaps the utility would not allow an UG service, but they usually don't allow a POA that high either.

There has to be more to the story for sure.

Cheers
John
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 118

Did 6 new two family houses in NY. Two panels and two meters. Common area lighting and power split between the two.

POCO will allow third meter but municipalities won’t because basement apartments are illegal. Not all but most.

VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #12

These masts are the norm around here. Its all about what you're used to seeing. Better its up high than have street traffic rip it down.

An underground hookup here means you need your own pole on your property (unsightly & $$$$) to accept the overhead drop, mount the meter, and then feed it underground to your house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCI3 View Post
POCO will allow third meter but municipalities won’t because basement apartments are illegal. Not all but most.
^ This.

No municipality here, but its to dissuade illegal occupancies just the same.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
These masts are the norm around here. Its all about what you're used to seeing. Better its up high than have street traffic rip it down.

An underground hookup here means you need your own pole on your property (unsightly & $$$$) to accept the overhead drop, mount the meter, and then feed it underground to your house.
I agree it is better high, then low. Why would client need a pole on their yard? Just do a direct burial (directional bore) to the utility pole across the street and up their pole; that is where the secondary comes from anyway.

No need for a client pole on their property.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I agree it is better high, then low. Why would client need a pole on their yard? Just do a direct burial (directional bore) to the utility pole across the street and up their pole; that is where the secondary comes from anyway.

No need for a client pole on their property.
PoCo rules... in this case BC Hydro. You may attach to the utility in the format they serve the area with. You want to do something different, you do it on your own property.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #15

There is something fishy about this job request. It may have to do with a future basement finish.

Technically he can leave everything as is, he just wants to “bring it up to current code” for no reason at all?! Lol.

However he is very persistent in hiring me and knows it’s $$$$$, especially with relocation of panels and probably close to 50 AFCI breakers.

I have no issue in keeping that same rigid mast and just turning it, adding supports, and have poco relocate POA. It wouldn’t be my initial design but this is a congested city side street, utility lines are cutting through trees from the street behind the house. Driveways are tight and funny, I have limited practical options.

Given the situation I may ask for a decent deposit to get city documents approved and possibly a POCO design engineer visit.

Last edited by WronGun; 07-19-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
There is something fishy about this job request. It may have to do with a future basement finish.
Old 07-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #17

Any suggestions on how to do the riser over ?

I’m using the Siemens unipak. Has anyone had an issue with setting risers recessed like this ?

Old 07-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by WronGun View Post
Any suggestions on how to do the riser over ?

I’m using the Siemens unipak. Has anyone had an issue with setting risers recessed like this ?

Can I ask how much did this piece of equipment cost? I just did a two gang meter system and used separate components and built the system. The price for the two gang equipment was over $1,500.00. The price for Trough, meters, disconnects was $500.00 and three extra hours labor.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,020

Wrongun, nevermind. We need to use ringless and lever bypass equipment. Much more expensive.
When I was an electrical inspector I had a inspection where the contractor installed a 9 gang system. I was a nice clean install but he bought his equipment from HD on line and it did not conform to local codes. Not ringless and no lever bypass.
kb1jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
This is very common in Southern California. Pretty much any neighborhood older than 1970 has something similar.

#HACKLIVESMATTER
MotoGP1199 is online now   Reply With Quote