Are cordless tools worth the money? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree48Likes

Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Are cordless tools worth the money?

Hey guys!! I have recently acquired some funds and was considering buying some expensive cord tools (knockouts, cutters, crimpers, drills and such) and was wondering if they were worth the money. I'm not working in power distribution but I plan to get started in that field in a year or so.
aceradrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,427

I would wait until you see what you need.

Some of my biggest wastes of money were from me buying tools (hand, power, and battery) because I thought I would need them, then realizing that I needed something slightly different.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,975

A good drill, impact driver and small reciprocating saw do almost everything. Elite tradesmen use Bosch. Milwaukee is okay. Buy DeWalt if you enjoy people pointing fingers at you and laughing. Makita is for oddballs who wear socks in their sandals. Hilti is for those with more money than brains.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
A good drill, impact driver and small reciprocating saw do almost everything. Elite tradesmen use Milwaukee . Bosch is okay. Buy DeWalt if you enjoy people pointing fingers at you and laughing. Makita is for oddballs who wear socks in their sandals. Hilti is for those with more money than brains.
Totally agree.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Signal1 For This Useful Post:
HackWork (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,652

It depends on the volume of that kind of work. If you plan on getting into it, start with the manual/hydraulic tools and see how much work you get.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal1 View Post
Totally agree.
Then you’re an elite tradesman .

Huh? You scrambled my post .
Old 06-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,427

Quote:

Signal1 is right, ya know.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:

Well, I agreed with most of it.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Nothing like a good tool snob thread .
batwing44 and tmessner like this.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,466

Corded tools are less expensive and generally more powerful.

Battery operated tools eliminated the need of maintaining and stringing extension cords.

On large projects the safety nazis require cords to be off the floor to prevent tripping, etc. They also make sure we take the time to test the cords and tools & keep records for OSHA. This time (AKA labor hours) equals money.

So does the battery tools higher cost offset the labor cost that extension cord maintenance and installation require?
bill39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:37 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
A good drill, impact driver and small reciprocating saw do almost everything. Elite tradesmen use Bosch. Milwaukee is okay. Buy DeWalt if you enjoy people pointing fingers at you and laughing. Makita is for oddballs who wear socks in their sandals. Hilti is for those with more money than brains.
What about us Hitachi users? I feel left out.
Hitachi, the real Team Green.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 880

The first day i started at this new company i walked in with my tool boxs full of expensive stuff. I was told to turn around and take them all back home.

The next 3 days i spent on a computer shopping for tools. The bill came to over $45,000 dollars with another $30,000 for tools that i will need in the future. They seemed more concerned over what new vehicle they should buy me to hold all of these tools.

The only rule is that company tools stay at work and the vehicle has gps so no side jobs.

My advice is to put your money in a savings account so you can buy what you need when you need it and like others have said wait until you are sure you need it before buying it. (unless you get lucky and they buy all the tools, Then just buy anything shinny)
tmessner and MikeFL like this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:58 PM   #13
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceradrian View Post
Hey guys!! I have recently acquired some funds and was considering buying some expensive cord tools (knockouts, cutters, crimpers, drills and such) and was wondering if they were worth the money. I'm not working in power distribution but I plan to get started in that field in a year or so.
We have 18volt Milwaukee hammer drill, impact and saw all for everyone. We have a few 18 volt lanterns, two of the 12 volt KO sets up to 4”, a 12 volt cutter and a few sets of 12 volt hammer drill/impact sets floating around, several 12 volt bandsaws, two of the SDS 18 volt. We have one of the Dewalt strippers.

The only corded tools we have are deep portabands, and SDX max chipping hammer/ground rod/ hammer drill.

Bottom line, only corded tools as a last option.
MTW and MikeFL like this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,087

For an employee, own a Cordless Drill, Impact Driver and Sawzall. Your employer should be supplying any other power/cordless tools you need.
For yourself, See above list. Save your money. For the most part, if you need a tool once, borrow/rent it. If you need it multiple times, time to buy one.
MikeFL likes this.
JoeSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 PM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 18,624

Quote:
Pretty good analogies from you!
99cents likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:25 PM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 18,624

Hold off on buying power tools, corded or cordless as any decent company should be providing them to you for on the job use.
JoeSparky and stiffneck like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
For an employee, own a Cordless Drill, Impact Driver and Sawzall. Your employer should be supplying any other power/cordless tools you need.
For yourself, See above list. Save your money. For the most part, if you need a tool once, borrow/rent it. If you need it multiple times, time to buy one.

Nothing wrong with owning all that and lots more. Just leave it at home. The employer should supply all that. One good reason is that your cordless stuff might be beat up junk wasting time and not getting the job done. Or maybe you left it home doing work around the house. Then what? Say sorry boss, I left my stuff home. Oh well it wasn't yours anyway. I'll get through that 2x4 with my keyhole saw.

Although it's perfectly fine to use company tools around the house. Why buy something your only going to use a few times. If it breaks it was probably on the way out anyhow. Tell him to buy decent stuff so that this doesn't happen next time you need it at home. Nothing worse than having a cold beer wondering how your going to get your exhaust off with a broken sawzall! You may have to put the job off while you finish off the case. And make sure to give him an ass reaming when you go to work Monday.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 750

Quote:

While we seem to have just about one of everything and nothing that ever matches up when needed, over half our stuff his Hilti and the Hilti sales man was in the foreman's office at least once a month. That's over with and the Hilti store front he worked out of is empty now. Remember, Airports are born to spend money, until the next indictment
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #19
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 7,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
Nothing wrong with owning all that and lots more. Just leave it at home. The employer should supply all that. One good reason is that your cordless stuff might be beat up junk wasting time and not getting the job done. Or maybe you left it home doing work around the house. Then what? Say sorry boss, I left my stuff home. Oh well it wasn't yours anyway. I'll get through that 2x4 with my keyhole saw.

Although it's perfectly fine to use company tools around the house. Why buy something your only going to use a few times. If it breaks it was probably on the way out anyhow. Tell him to buy decent stuff so that this doesn't happen next time you need it at home. Nothing worse than having a cold beer wondering how your going to get your exhaust off with a broken sawzall! You may have to put the job off while you finish off the case. And make sure to give him an ass reaming when you go to work Monday.
Very well said.
I would extend your comment to include ladders and meters.
I just confiscated a dollar store meter from one of our guys and asked where the Klein one was that he was given. Oh, It's at home.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Very well said.
I would extend your comment to include ladders and meters.
I just confiscated a dollar store meter from one of our guys and asked where the Klein one was that he was given. Oh, It's at home.
I am with you in concept but I think the Klein meters are dollar store meters in drag.

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f14/...t-same-140761/
JoeSparky likes this.

Last edited by splatz; 06-21-2019 at 07:10 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote