Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor wiring - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By jw0445

Old 05-13-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Default Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor wiring

I am typically all residential, but this shouldn't be a problem. The business owner said the salesperson told him it would require a 60 amp breaker. I'm wiring an Ingersoll Rand TS4N5 air Compressor. The plate says 230V and 21.5 FLA. Why would I need a 60 amp breaker?

It's going to be placed within 25' of the breaker box, so I was going to put a double pole 30 and use #10. Even if I did 1 1/2% it would be a 40 amp breaker. How should I wire this thing? Thanks so much! -John
Attached Thumbnails
Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor wiring-img_6486.jpg  

Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor wiring-img_6485.jpg  

Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor wiring-img_6487.jpg  

bantar1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,452

What is the actual current at 220 volts (which is probably what you have) and what is the in-rush on starting?

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 580

You can size the breaker up to 250% of the FLA, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. A 40 amp breaker on #10 wire should be OK.
bantar1000 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,590

I have that compressor in my shop. I ran 10's on a 40. It kept tripping out once it had pressure in it. I ended up running 6 on a 60 amp breaker and never looked back. P.S. It is a great compressor.
splatz likes this.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #5
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,320

#10 thhn on a 40.

Or

#8 Romex on a 40.

I'm not sure if you're piping it or what...
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 52

If the tag says minimum circuit ampacity ____. Maximum CB or fuse size, then you use that. If not then I you have to use NEC 430.248 and add 25% regardless of what the tag says. Is the building 208 volts or 240 volts.

FYI : A NEMA motor rated hp is a measure of work while an IEC motor hp is a measure of how much energy it uses. That is why a NEMA 5 hp motor is bigger and draws more amperes than a IEC motor.
kb1jb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:37 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,393

Depends if it has an unloader or not. If it don't, it'll start under full head pressure, and the 60a. would be my choice.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantar1000 View Post
I am typically all residential, but this shouldn't be a problem. The business owner said the salesperson told him it would require a 60 amp breaker. I'm wiring an Ingersoll Rand TS4N5 air Compressor. The plate says 230V and 21.5 FLA. Why would I need a 60 amp breaker?

It's going to be placed within 25' of the breaker box, so I was going to put a double pole 30 and use #10. Even if I did 1 1/2% it would be a 40 amp breaker. How should I wire this thing? Thanks so much! -John
Air compressors notoriously start under a very heavy load. This is normal, and also why they don't repeatedly cycle. You can use a smaller breaker and swap it out if you get nuisance trips, but it sounds like your sales rep has seen this before and knows these units take a good 300% to start.
sparkiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,804

I usually throw 10's and a 60 amp at those compressors.