New square D QO tandem breakers for the butcher - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MTW
  • 1 Post By oliquir
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By VELOCI3
  • 1 Post By VELOCI3
  • 1 Post By joe-nwt

Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 90
Default New square D QO tandem breakers for the butcher

Brand new modular home in NYC area built in 2018. Factory did all the wall wiring (plugs, switches etc.). Part of the package was a 120/240 1ph 3W Square D QO panel with 42 ckts. The foundation was poured for the basement level and the mod sections were placed on top. The electrical contractor had to install the supplied panel and create a new service. The factory only had 4 spaces left in the panel for basement circuits. I was hired to correct issues found by the buyers home inspector.

Note. Whenever I see a brand new installation (everything is new) and I see wire nuts inside the panel....

Well here is how they solved adding extra breakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VELOCI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 62

Are these the tandem breakers with two tiny toggles side by side?

I've been using those for ~10 years or so....
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 809

Tandem breakers are expensive. I don’t use them much anymore. I will first recommend adding a sub panel. If the customer does not want to pay for that, I will tell them that I could double up some circuits that don’t use much power. If they end up tripping the breakers on those circuits later, then it proves that they need a subpanel. I love getting the call, “you were right, when can you come and install that subpanel”.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

So far as the wirenuts in the panel... is it in fact a "new" install when these are changes made after the factory?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
So far as the wirenuts in the panel... is it in fact a "new" install when these are changes made after the factory?

The panel is cut in and installed on site. The modular sections are quick connect romex and there is a bundle long enough to extend to the new panel location. Some of the AFCI breakers had no neutral. This panel uses their breakers that snap onto the neutral rail.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Tandem breakers are expensive. I don’t use them much anymore. I will first recommend adding a sub panel. If the customer does not want to pay for that, I will tell them that I could double up some circuits that don’t use much power. If they end up tripping the breakers on those circuits later, then it proves that they need a subpanel. I love getting the call, “you were right, when can you come and install that subpanel”.

Tandem breaker is about $15. Square D tandem breakers have a hook in the back to secure then to the panel rail. Only the bottom 5 or so spots allow you to use them. This is to prevent you from exceeding 42 over current devices in a panel

Old 10-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VELOCI3 View Post
The panel is cut in and installed on site. The modular sections are quick connect romex and there is a bundle long enough to extend to the new panel location. Some of the AFCI breakers had no neutral. This panel uses their breakers that snap onto the neutral rail.
Right... so its up to the factory to leave enough 'tail' to terminate in the panel? Opening up a wall and re-feeding the home run would probably upset the factory certification of that circuit or wall assembly.

That QO panelboard's neutral bars are on either side of the main breaker at the top. Doesn't the AFCI's white wire terminate up there?

My 32 space QO panel is rated for 54 circuits. I don't mind the newer tandems. I don't often need them though.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
Right... so its up to the factory to leave enough 'tail' to terminate in the panel? Opening up a wall and re-feeding the home run would probably upset the factory certification of that circuit or wall assembly.

That QO panelboard's neutral bars are on either side of the main breaker at the top. Doesn't the AFCI's white wire terminate up there?

My 32 space QO panel is rated for 54 circuits. I don't mind the newer tandems. I don't often need them though.

The breaker body snaps into the neutral rail so there are no tails on afci and gfci breakers.

The factory doesn’t install the panel. The foundation and basement level are built on site. The contractor provides a service and installs the provided panel.

The tandem breakers installed by the electrician were heavily modified to fit the panel.

As of NEC 2008 all new panels have to have rejection features built in so a user cannot put more breakers in than its rating

Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Mensa Player

Was that only 2008? I thought it was long before then.

You can buy cheater tandems to fit in almost any panel, but they cost more.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:
The breaker body snaps into the neutral rail so there are no tails on afci and gfci breakers.

The factory doesn’t install the panel. The foundation and basement level are built on site. The contractor provides a service and installs the provided panel.

The tandem breakers installed by the electrician were heavily modified to fit the panel.

As of NEC 2008 all new panels have to have rejection features built in so a user cannot put more breakers in than its rating

Interesting. I have not seen that style QO AFCI or GFCI yet.

I get the factory doesn't install the panel. But the electrician's scope of work is just the panel, not running the circuits. He's left to tie in factory-approved pre-wired circuits. I was only citing a possible reason... but I missed the breaker damage/modification until you pointed it out.

My panel is about 2015 vintage. Tandems fit fine.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #11
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,784

QO tandems are $50 and not subject to the QO buying program discount.

That's an insane amount of circuits in that panel, I bet most of them could be doubled up.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:06 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Tandem breaker is about $15. Square D tandem breakers have a hook in the back to secure then to the panel rail. Only the bottom 5 or so spots allow you to use them. This is to prevent you from exceeding 42 over current devices in a panel

true in US, in canada we dont have that hook so we can fill a 40 spaces panel with 40 tandem if we want !
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
oliquir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,344

Plugs.
Speedy Petey likes this.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #14
Band Member

Rewards Points: 1,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Plugs.
Up here, if you call someone a Plug, it's an insult ... Kinda like 'tool'

You need to say sorry now
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 560

Yet another reason NOT to use QO panels.

SqD QO CTL tandems are $20. Non-CTL tandems are $50. WTF?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Yet another reason NOT to use QO panels.

SqD QO CTL tandems are $20. Non-CTL tandems are $50. WTF?
The price of cheaters shouldn't matter to all of you people who follow the code, which is everyone on this forum, or so you say. Watch it or Dennis will get mad.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Plugs.

Here is a pic from the driveway. Note the GFI receptacles at 12 and 25’ above grade

Old 10-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #18
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,776

Quote:
Here is a pic from the driveway. Note the GFI receptacles at 12 and 25’ above grade

At some point, there were decks outside those sliding glass doors.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
At some point, there were decks outside those sliding glass doors.

Houses are brand new from factory.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 686

Sometimes those cookie cutter houses don't come from the factory with all the accessories, such as decks. And no one tells the assembly line electrician any different.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote