Service mast attachment - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Services and Service Equipment

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevin_Essiambre
  • 1 Post By B-Nabs
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By mofos be cray

Old 01-06-2020, 01:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Default Service mast attachment

I was talking to a friend of mine who was a carpenter in the Yukon and he said that anytime people upgraded or moved their service the electrician would, on top of the drywall attach a 2x4 accross 2 studs. Then through the wall and that 2×4 they would put the through bolt for the mast clamps.
Down here I open up the wall, screw 2x4s between the studs and put the bolt through that. I then cut off the excess bolt, maybe peen the threads, reinstate the insulation etc and replace the drywall.
What do you all do?
mofos be cray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,739

I use two 1-1/4" drywall screws on each end of the two hole 2" strap. Using only one will make the screw go right thru the hole.

Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:08 AM   #3
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 250

We will open up the wall and use 2x6 doubled up with dam near a whole box of screws.

Patch and repair by others.

If the mast isn't moving usually we will slip a 2" pvc conduit through the old rigid. Usually fits like a glove.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Navyguy likes this.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
If the mast isn't moving usually we will slip a 2" pvc conduit through the old rigid. Usually fits like a glove.
I have only ever done this once, but it is extremely common. I generally try to reuse the old mast first before I would put the PVC up through the mast.

I think it is ugly as all get out, but I guess if everybody is doing it...

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I have only ever done this once, but it is extremely common. I generally try to reuse the old mast first before I would put the PVC up through the mast.

I think it is ugly as all get out, but I guess if everybody is doing it...

Cheers

John
The trick is to put the bell end up. On 2" PVC It should sit perfectly on the end of the old mast.

I've inquired why we done just put new parts on the old mast before. Usually it's because the meter is going somewhere else and we would have to bond the mast somehow.

Regardless it's the way i was taught. I actually had to tell my current employer how to do this one day. If I can dig up the photos I'll share them here. The client didn't want us to cut open her walls to put bracing in. Hydro Ottawa was forcing a meter relocation because something happened to the old service.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofos be cray View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who was a carpenter in the Yukon and he said that anytime people upgraded or moved their service the electrician would, on top of the drywall attach a 2x4 accross 2 studs.
How do customers up there feel about a 2x4 with large bolts poking through on their bedroom wall? Do they just hang clothes on it? I have no customers where that would fly.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
How do customers up there feel about a 2x4 with large bolts poking through on their bedroom wall? Do they just hang clothes on it? I have no customers where that would fly.
It is the Yukon, so maybe they're too cold or too busy training their huskies for the Iditarod to care.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #8
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWill View Post
In the Yukon, the tradition is to paint a set of eyes on that board on the wall that holds up the electrical service. By this time of year, that board is the prettiest girl in town and the best friend they ever had. Later, it will be torn down and burned or eaten, depending on how bad the moose hunting is that year.
CoolWill likes this.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,507

If you’re good, like my buddy Dave, you will drill a hole through the stud from inside to outside. Then you countersink a washer and nut into the wall. Very little patching required and no need to open up the wall.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 18

How do customers up there feel about a 2x4 with large bolts poking through on their bedroom wall? Do they just hang clothes on it? I have no customers where that would fly.[/QUOTE]
He said it was super common (for the Yukon, population 35000) so everybody accepts it. That's why I asked.
That particular install doesn't work for me. The customer doesn't get a say cause I wouldn't do it.
CoolWill likes this.
mofos be cray is online now   Reply With Quote