Electrician Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
Garvin Industries makes them. Not like the one in my picture, those aren't made any longer as far as I can tell. Garvins look a bit different. They do the job though.
Garvin actually uses the same picture you posted on their website. They show 2 different ones for the same item.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Garvin Industries makes them. Not like the one in my picture, those aren't made any longer as far as I can tell. Garvins look a bit different. They do the job though.
Up here in canuckistan they sell those exact ones you posted a picture of. I'm surprised they dont exist in the states as you all seem to have far more cool stuff.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
I keep one of those Arlington ones on the van most of the time and they do work well. Supply house here keeps those on the shelf.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
I keep one of those Arlington ones on the van most of the time and they do work well.
I'm gonna order a couple to keep on the van.

We don't generally have furring strips put under joists here. But a semi-common situation is for them to put furring strips on old plaster ceilings, then drywall over it. So I can break those 2 pegs off the back and use this box.

·
Super Moderator
22,017 Posts
I have used wiremold boxes in the past. They come 1" deep not sure about 1 1/4" There is usually a 1/2" ko in the back

·
Super Moderator
22,017 Posts
I didn't mention a center ko but there are ko's in the back plate for 1/2" connectors. They are toward the ends of the plate. There may be one in the middle but that won't help if the rafter or joist is there.

·
Banned
39,206 Posts
I didn't mention a center ko but there are ko's in the back plate for 1/2" connectors. They are toward the ends of the plate. There may be one in the middle but that won't help if the rafter or joist is there.
So you have the wiremold box recessed behind the drywall so that the front of the box is flush? That seems odd. I'm surprised you did it, definitely a 110.B(3) violation since the instructions say to surface mount it.

·
Super Moderator
22,017 Posts
I have never seen anything that says it must be surface mounted. This is a safe and good solution--don't be jealous because you didn't think of it. :biggrin: It works great...yes a bit odd but compliant IMO.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts