Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call last night. Apartment building, security lighting and hall lights were out.
I thought maybe it was the control circuit.
Nope.
The new "smart" meter had half of itself turned off and, it had a lock on it.
Then it started to rain.

I don't like cutting them of during the daytime in nice weather, night was not an option.
I took a chance and hit the side of it with my fist a couple of times. Checked it again, now both sides are out.

I called the property manager and let them know it was a problem with the meter.

This is the second time I have had one of these 1/2 power situations with a smart meter.

Has anyone had a similar experience with smart meters.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
How old is the meter socket?
Exactly.

Most problems that crop up after a smart meter is installed are caused by socket issues.

#1 cause is unqualified installers forcing the new meter in and bending one or more of the jaws

#2 cause is that the contacts on smart meters are a bit thinner than the older ones. A marginal jaw that works with the old meter will fail when the new meter's thinner contacts are plugged in.

jrannis, go back and suggest a meter socket replacement before it burns up completely.

·
Premium Member
19,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,
Ive been through this metercenter several times after the smart meters were installed and am 99.99% sure its the meter.
My suspension confirmed when I hit the side of it and it turned off completely.
The load on this 100 amp meter socket is less than 30 amps and recently inspected the socket.

Just be on the lookout for partial power on these things.
So far, I love them. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts