Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glen1971 said:
Look at all the room in there for the field wiring.. :eek:

No one will ever dislike the size of this one.. lol..
I stood the din rail off the back plate 4" in order to bring the harnesses to the term blocks. My guys will come into the bottom of it with their wiring. Funny thing is we only need a couple inputs and outputs for what were doing.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Is that an HMI on the door? How much heat is this panel expected to generate? Worked on tight panels like that before.. Guess I just like to have a bit more room for my fat fingers...lol..

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glen1971 said:
Is that an HMI on the door? How much heat is this panel expected to generate? Worked on tight panels like that before.. Guess I just like to have a bit more room for my fat fingers...lol..
Yes it's an HMI. Heat won't be an issue.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stopped by this job site today. My guys installed the cabinet and ran four 3/4" EMT into it. They didn't much like the space.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
sparky970 said:
Where's the UL sticker?
Does it really need one? Every time I put some relays and a contactor in an enclosure do I need to get a UL listing if I use UL or UR parts? What is the line?

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
sparky970 said:
It certainly does, unless you aren't getting inspected.
What would it cost to obtain a listing for a 12x12 enclosure with a relay and a contactor in it? Ballpark figure

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
Its industrial, I have never had anything "inspected".

Most new control panels look exactly like that. The days of leaving 25% of the space empty for future expansion is over. Now I believe they draw the whole thing out with CAD, and move devices around to get everything in the smallest space possible.

Really limits you on parts changes. No way will you ever fit a NEMA starter inside one of their cabinets, you will forever be stuck with IEC junk. And maybe even identical IEC junk, because Schnieders wont fit in the same spot as a Telemechanique.:( I guess thats how they save money.

The cabinet looks good, nice job.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is pretty small but I have seen a whole lot tighter than that. Seems like the ACAD dimensions that the EE's tend to use for everything are not quite real world accurate for sizing the amount of stuff going into a box. Looks like a nice job though.....looks good.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ezoffshore said:
That is pretty small but I have seen a whole lot tighter than that. Seems like the ACAD dimensions that the EE's tend to use for everything are not quite real world accurate for sizing the amount of stuff going into a box. Looks like a nice job though.....looks good.
There wasn't a cad layout. I did the layout. I was just handed the parts from engineer. PLC, Ethernet switch, power supply, HMI, and enclosure. I supplied the term blocks, fuse block, and everything else.

No UL sticker. We have built hundreds of panels for this plant. No UL sticker on any of them.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
dawgs said:
No UL sticker. We have built hundreds of panels for this plant. No UL sticker on any of them.
That's what I thought. We couldn't get through the day without someone building something that matches the definition of an industrial control cabinet. Getting a sticker for all that piddly stuff is just stupid. UL is doing just fine without our help

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
denny3992 said:
Why not use term block jumpers, rather than wire?
Rest looks pro like!
There is jumpers now. I didn't have the jumpers and engineer wanted this monday morning. i worked on it friday night and saturday. This was a fast turnaround.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts