Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fought with this for almost 30 minutes today at work. How the hell do you terminate a #10 stranded under an Ideal grounding screw in the back of a 1900?

I did my usual trick with stranded leaving a bit of insulation on the end but I cant ever get it to secure....

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Put your stripper in just over an inch from the end. Strip the insulation back exposing about 1/2" oc copper. Insert your sharp scratch awl (or a skinny screwdriver in case you've never heard of a scratch awl) into the copper and hake an opening for the ground screw. remove/replace the screw.

Or, strip it back farther and expose enough to wrap it, but it likes to squeeze out. Wrap it all the way around, over itself.

Use a crimp-on terminal.
That would require a trip to the truck :laughing:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with ampman, I back twist the wires for stranded terminations as well as splices, they stay together as opposed to separating. The stake on method works awesome as well.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
mwr said:
crimped spade terminal is what I resorted to. What was taking me forever took 3 seconds with the spade terminal. I was hesitant though, are they rated for grounding?
Never heard that question asked before honestly. If it can handle the full ampacity of the conductor it's sized for I imagine it can satisfy grounding/bonding requirements.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
They also make #10 solid grounding pigtails just like the #12s. Or you could make your own
Yep, there are a bunch of ways to do it, none of which involve warping stranded wire around a ground screw.

In a pinch I might use a #12 ground tail, but don't tell anybody :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts