Electrician Talk banner

#10 XLPE 125C Wire Ampacity?

3774 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  farlsincharge
I'm installing a 40A electric range and the wires in the appliance whip (attached to the range) are #10 XLPE 125C.

I can't find XLPE in the 2008 NEC though several posts on this site indicate I should see it 310.15 - 310.21 tables. I googled XLPE and it looks like it is used in automobiles.

Table 310.16 says various #10 wires rated at 90C are good for 40A but I don't see XLPE in the wire type heading.

Do I need to replace this whip with #8 wire or am I good to go?

Thanks
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Electric Al
4,813 Posts
I'm installing a 40A electric range and the wires in the appliance whip (attached to the range) are #10 XLPE 125C.

I can't find XLPE in the 2008 NEC though several posts on this site indicate I should see it 310.15 - 310.21 tables. I googled XLPE and it looks like it is used in automobiles.

Table 310.16 says various #10 wires rated at 90C are good for 40A but I don't see XLPE in the wire type heading.

Do I need to replace this whip with #8 wire or am I good to go?

Thanks

I M O, if the equipment came complete, and is UL or (in my case CSA) approved. Then you should be good to go.

· Swimmer
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I M O, if the equipment came complete, and is UL or (in my case CSA) approved. Then you should be good to go.

The range had been returned to Sears and re-sold at discount. Besides this, it is new.
Proper flex connector was missing from the conduit and ground and neutral were crimped together. This makes me question the wire size. It's no problem for me to attach a #8 whip but I'd like to know about this XLPE 125C business as this may be something I'll encounter in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.