Electrician Talk banner

$1000 bonus check!

6K views 66 replies 37 participants last post by  wishmaster68 
#1 ·
I got a bonus check for the first time ever:thumbup:, I've been working for this company since april, I guess i'm doing something right:whistling2:

Anyone else get bonus checks from there employer?

#3 ·
Our shop used to throw an annual Christmas party at the local resort inn... they'd blow like $5000 on it.

It was fun but we got together and said, "I don't think the boss can justify spending 5 grand on this thing, especially when we've got guys sitting at home not working." So we presented that, the boss agreed, and now we get bonuses, even if we're sitting at home.

#29 ·
The Christmas party is normally a part of a businesses overhead and is figured into the overall hourly rate. This is how it's done. $5,000 p/ year vs $40-$50,000 for an employee are much different. But that's good you were looking out for the guys out of work.

#28 ·
#8 ·
I got a bonus check for the first time ever:thumbup:, I've been working for this company since april, I guess i'm doing something right:whistling2:

Anyone else get bonus checks from there employer?

Not yet but hoping so. I made 200,000+ for the shop this year and hoprfully I'll get that elusive 10,000 bonus I hear rumors about.:thumbup:

Congrats

#10 ·
I worked at the place where a "Go F Yourself" was considered a good bonus. I think the last year I worked there we all got a soft side 6 pack cooler with the company logo on it. Notice I said it was the last year:whistling2:

The company I work at currently gives out bonuses based only on labor hours saved on jobs. It is not effective, because it means I don't care how expensive that part is, if it saves me a half hour installation time.

#15 ·
I worked at the place where a "Go F Yourself" was considered a good bonus. I think the last year I worked there we all got a soft side 6 pack cooler with the company logo on it. Notice I said it was the last year:whistling2:
Yeah, I know the feeling. Once worked for a company that was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. Our Christmas "bonus" was that everyone got a $17 gift card to Walmart. Stuff like that is worse than getting nothing at all.

-John

#11 ·
We give a bonus to all employees, amount is based on time you have been with the company.

Remember this is a bonus, if the company has a bad year and cannot give a bonus one year, you are not free to steal from them in revenge for cheating out of what you feel is yours.

I have seen this happen at 3 different companies.

A friend of mine gives a bonus to all his employees, he has a Jehovah Witness, that was preaching the evils of giving gifts for Christmas. Last year on Christmas Eve my friend gave out the bonus. He did not give one to the Witness. The employee questioned why he did not receive a bonus. It was explained that the bonus was basically a Christmas gift from the employer and my friend did not want to offend the Witness with such a gift.

Well this was unacceptable and the Witness had a 1000 excuses why this was just wrong and had nothing to do with Christmas. After a while of listening to the rant my friend gave the employee his check, which he had intended to do all a long, he just wanted to see the guys TRUE dedication to his employees beliefs.

#14 ·
Funny to see this thread pop up. One of my best residential customers snuck an extra grand into the check he wrote me on Friday. He folded it in half and handed it it over before I could see the numbers. I put it in the wallet and didn't notice the extra digit until yesterday. :eek:

:thumbsup: It is good feeling to be appreciated for great work.

#18 ·
I've been with this shop for 10 years and we only got a bonus for the first 2 years I was there. At the time we only had 75 employees, now that we are up to around 150-200 we don't get anything. Kinda a bad excuse tho cause that only means they are making even more $ with a bigger work force.
But I really don't hold it against them, at least I'm gettin my 40 as I have been for the past 10 years!

#19 ·
Unless it's part of your employee/employer agreement, a bonus this time of year is not required, so kwitchyerbitchin. :laughing:

And unless you're privvy to the financials of the company, you cannot assume that just because there's more people working there the company is making more money. Have you looked at the economy lately?

#21 ·
What I have received from past employers.

2nd year in the trade 2 weeks off at Christmas no pay.

Next company nothing but one customer gave be a $100.00 for decorating her outdoor tree,this was in 1973 this was 1/2 a weeks pay. I told the boss, next year he sent his son out.

Next company started at $500.00 last year $1,000.00.

Next company one year a Dinosaur Tie from the Smithsonian, the following year Chocolate covered almonds.

Last company before going into business nothing, which would not have bothered me had I not been asked by the head man how I appreciated my bonus.

Company policy was they gave the bonus money to each PM to disperse to employees as the PM felt, no one in my division got a bonus.

Last bonus story, I give bonus's every year one year a drunk wife of one of my men called me Christmas eve to tell me what a CO*CK SUCKING, low life turd, piece of SH*T and cheap MF'er I was, she went on how am I going to pay for all the gifts I bought? I said excuse me, she said NO GD BONUS you fuc*king bastard.

I explained I that I had no clue what she was talking about but her husband left the office with $XXXX.XX (twice what I gave him), I have no clue what he did with it.

He calls me later begging me to talk to her, I said NO. Seems he kept the bonus to buy a new boat motor, lying to the wife about how cheap I was.

Anything you get is just that a bonus (found cash) appreciate it and let the boss know you appreciate it after all this is cash from his pocket.

#22 · (Edited)
For the past 10 or 15 years, I've gotten bonuses every year. they run from about 10K to 15K. Last year it was 5K. This year it looks like 0. We usually get them around the 1st of November.

I realize the economy is bad, but I've been working 60 hour weeks; as have most of the other guys. I fully realize that bonuses are entirely optional, but they're also a pretty good indication of just exactly how well a company is doing. Especially when they get smaller.

Rob

#25 ·
For the past 10 or 15 years, I've gotten bonuses every year. they run from about 10K to 15K. Last year it was 5K. This year it looks like 0. We usually get them around the 1st of November.
Could be an interesting year......

Rob

I think if you boss cannot give you a bonus they should bring you in either one on one or in a group and explain why. Not giving a bonus after so many years of giving bonus's like they did, usually cost the employer in the long run.

#24 ·
No bonus here and no pay raise for the next 2 years. I was looking at a .68% raise until the other day.
I don't like it but thats what Mr President wants. Wish my health insurance didn't go up 14% this year. I just hope that congress gives the military a raise then I won't complain.

#30 ·
No bonus here and no pay raise for the next 2 years. I was looking at a .68% raise until the other day.
I don't like it but thats what Mr President wants.
Huh?
Wish my health insurance didn't go up 14% this year.
I had a different experience. My insurance goes up (just me on the plan, HSA) less than 3% and I got a $500+ refund check from the insurance company and they said it was due to the health care bill that was passed.
I just hope that congress gives the military a raise then I won't complain.
They deserve the raise, but how does it get paid for?

#27 ·
We used to be very generous with bonus money all throughout the year. We'd do things like cruises or long weekends at the beach just because the money was there and a small company is like a big family.

The last couple of years have been rough and I'm kind of wishing we had put that money aside :jester:

The top guys would get a couple thousand at Christmas and the apprentices would get $500 I think.

Last year, there were no more apprentices and I'm not sure anyone got anything. We didn't even have our Christmas dinner.

It's a small group and we all know what the situation is. This year will be about the same. Everybody is salaried and we do take off from Christmas eve through the 1st of the year, but that's about all it's going to be.

#31 ·
The only thing I've ever gotten as a bonus, was an 8 pound honey baked ham for thanksgiving last year.

I was honestly surprised, and still to this day look back on it, because I still don't expect $hit from my employers besides work.

I don't expect fair pay, I don't expect offered benefits, I don't expect paid holidays off.

I feel like expecting any of these things just leads to disappointment.

#34 ·
Maybe you should re-evaluate the type of contractors you work for.

As far as bonuses go I used to get between 4k and 8k in the 90's. I worked for Lucent Technologies. Now I get between 500-1000, but I'm not complaining as long as I can pay my bills and live comfortably. The owner takes me on hunting trips and I thoroughly enjoy those trips. This year if I get a bonus I plan on giving it to my son (USMC active duty). He wants a new shotgun for Goose hunting so it can go towards his purchase.

Sometimes appreciation does not have to be show with money. The wife doesn't always understand this.

Reactions: 76nemo
#32 ·
hardworkingstiff said:
Huh? I had a different experience. My insurance goes up (just me on the plan, HSA) less than 3% and I got a $500+ refund check from the insurance company and they said it was due to the health care bill that was passed. They deserve the raise, but how does it get paid for?
My wages are set by federal law. You can see them at OPM.gov . Our raises are set by congress and signed by Obama. Because we reduced our work force afew years ago I bumped back to a position I held before. So I get 1/2 the raise everyone else gets till my wages equal the position I hold now.
The health care reform hurts alot of people and made my costs go up. But atleast I have coverage.
We all pay taxes to pay for their wages.
I tell anyone out of work to look at working for the federal government.

#35 ·
Right. I prefer to ask what I'll get for a bonus at the end of the year. That's what's really important.

Never mind what I get paid on a weekly basis..... bennies.... company truck to drive home..... all that is secondary to that bonus I'm entitled to. :whistling2:

#36 ·
Never mind what I get paid on a weekly basis..... bennies.... company truck to drive home..... all that is secondary to that bonus I'm entitled to. :whistling2:
That seems sorta like a silly way of thinking. Seems like most of the guys in this thread would prefer the steady paycheck, bennies, and truck. But whatever you think is important. :whistling2:

-John

#56 ·
That's a nice amount, a grand.

At my second ever a/c company, the boss said that if we could get customers to fax in letters saying how well we did he'd give us $150 per letter. Not really certain if that counts as a bonus but I'd get two to three a day and he paid up, daily.

Nothing since though but I now work sub contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.