Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new customer called and said they're main breaker for their house keeps tripping. Like twice a month for the last 10 years. I get them to turn on the oven, A/C and dryer and microwave. I got 13A on the oven, 10A on the AC, 23A on the Dryer and 12A on the microwave. I took a thermal reading and the main 100A was 30 Degrees celsius. The main then tripped and wouldn't reset right away. After 3-4 minutes it reset. I'm wondering, if the 100A breaker has been tripping for years, could that degrade it to the point where it could trip at a lower amperage? I'm also thinking there could be a loose screw on the main which could create arcing and heat up the breaker.

Sent from my SM-G9650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Like twice a month for the last 10 years.
That's hard to believe. When exactly? Only only on weekends? Only at night? Winter or summer? By now something should have stopped working or burned up.

Reactions: Max C.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
A new customer called and said they're main breaker for their house keeps tripping. Like twice a month for the last 10 years. I get them to turn on the oven, A/C and dryer and microwave. I got 13A on the oven, 10A on the AC, 23A on the Dryer and 12A on the microwave. I took a thermal reading and the main 100A was 30 Degrees celsius. The main then tripped and wouldn't reset right away. After 3-4 minutes it reset. I'm wondering, if the 100A breaker has been tripping for years, could that degrade it to the point where it could trip at a lower amperage? I'm also thinking there could be a loose screw on the main which could create arcing and heat up the breaker.

If you google how a breaker works you will have a better understanding on why it takes a while to reset and why after multiply trips it starts to trip earlier than designed.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,163 Posts
I agree with the others that it's time for a panel upgrade and not just a new breaker.

·
Administrator
EC
22,214 Posts
Every time I had a main breaker tripping I had to replace it. Certainly check the load but my bet is the bus bar or the breaker

Reactions: macmikeman

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's hard to believe. When exactly? Only only on weekends? Only at night? Winter or summer? By now something should have stopped working or burned up.
Only in the summer, day time and it happens randomly when the AC/Oven or dryer are all going. It could be possible that one of the phases at 120v is over loaded added on top of the 240v stuff. The breakers are 40 years old.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You had a faulty bus bar? Or just the terminations to it?
Every time I had a main breaker tripping I had to replace it. Certainly check the load but my bet is the bus bar or the breaker

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Only in the summer, day time and it happens randomly when the AC/Oven or dryer are all going. It could be possible that one of the phases at 120v is over loaded added on top of the 240v stuff. The breakers are 40 years old.

I agree with the other posters for a service upgrade.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,695 Posts
I'd replace the breaker right off the bat. Inspect the panel and see if there's any reason to believe it's not in order. I'd double check the load and see if there's really any reason to believe it's overloaded. If there's no reason to believe there's something wrong with the panel or it's overloaded, I don't see recommending an upgrade. If you want to really be on the ball leaving something there to monitor the load would be the right thing to do.

Reactions: Aegis

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd replace the breaker right off the bat. Inspect the panel and see if there's any reason to believe it's not in order. I'd double check the load and see if there's really any reason to believe it's overloaded. If there's no reason to believe there's something wrong with the panel or it's overloaded, I don't see recommending an upgrade. If you want to really be on the ball leaving something there to monitor the load would be the right thing to do.
I said let's go with the cheaper option, if we have to at a later date we can change the whole panel. I've never left anything to monitor the load after I leave, what do you recommend for that?

·
Hackenschmidt
10,695 Posts
I said let's go with the cheaper option, if we have to at a later date we can change the whole panel. I've never left anything to monitor the load after I leave, what do you recommend for that?
I have not used these, and I don't know if this is available in Canada, but @HackWork recommended this brand and they are a better buy than anything I have used...

http://www.theenergydetective.com/homemtuct200.html

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,681 Posts
It probably is a bad breaker. Check it and the busbars of that panel. Replace the main breaker and collect the money. It probably won't trip again. If it does then swap the panel and upgrade the service/ feeder as necessary. But , what I do is tell them I am replacing the main, it probably will be fine now, but if it still trips then you have a larger problem and the panel will need replacement, along with an upgrade.

All these years later and I still don't try to sell people something they don't need , except for surge protection. Surge protection is my ice cream dessert. I feel it is mandated by my drive over and general overhead and willingness to show up.
So I sell just about everybody a whole house surge protection device. They really really really really really need those. They do. They need them. $500.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,695 Posts
Splatz just likes playing with his toys. Change out the 40 year old panel and be done with it. Offer a service upgrade.
It's true I DO like testing, monitoring, logging, analyzing, etc. But more than anything, I like really figuring out what's going on. The thing that nags at me here is, what if there's actually some overload occurring occasionally, and why?

My approach:
Replace the bad main now.
Montior now to see if they are really getting overloaded, and know actual utilization.
If it's a 40 year old panel, consider panel replacement or other service (old breakers).
Offer service upgrade if you can justify it based on future plans and current utilization.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Mikey, walk thru any customer’s house and you will find a couple hundred things that they don’t need, yet they purchased. The manufacturer and retailers of those products were happy to sell them.

Why don’t they need a safe, modern electrical panel? Why is a 40 year old panel that is malfunctioning not considered something reasonable to replace?

Why do we try to be “better” than all the millions of other businesses that sell products and services that people don’t “need”, but still purchase?

I ask this as a genuine question because I see myself doing it all the time. I will sell myself out of work using the same line of thinking that the customer really doesn’t need something. Yet as I’m walking out the door I see a dozen items totaling hundreds or thousands of dollars that the customer didn’t need, but bought anyway. Those companies were happy to sell it and make the profit, shouldn’t we be as well?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts