Electrician Talk banner

1099 and Licensing

803 6
Gents,

[Question 1]
Do I need a Contractors License to work as a 1099 Sub for Electrical Companies, Pool Companies, AV Companies, HVAC and Others to do things like terminating wires, running wires and other functions that typically require a contractor to be licensed?

[Question 2]
How many times have you been in a spot where you would have paid someone else a reasonable amount to come out for a day and run wires or do the end termination and startup of complex equipment?

[Preface]
State: Florida
I have been in Low Voltage Cabling and the HVAC Industry for years now and each job site I have been on I have helped some of the other tradesmen do the final termination and wiring on some of the more complex components. Pump Interlocks, Relays, Control Panels ETC.

I will be going into the fire service in 2021 and have been looking for profitable and part time side work. This seems like a great side gig. I have been 1099'd before and know it requires on the business and tax side.

Thanks in advanced.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Get your license. Then open up a side business and do all the work you want.

Legally, most states only allow someone to be 1099 if they are a licensed contractor. At least that's how it's usually done in the electrical field.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought so. I don't know what is holding me back from just getting my limited energy license here in Florida. This will honestly open so many doors.
Any suggestions on getting the alarm license instead? I can prove that I interfaced with those systems and within the last 8 years worked on them, but it was not the primary focus of the business or what we did. Would that somewhat limited work on alarm systems allow me to apply for Alarm II?

·
Small Potatoes
5,516 Posts
I thought so. I don't know what is holding me back from just getting my limited energy license here in Florida. This will honestly open so many doors.
Any suggestions on getting the alarm license instead? I can prove that I interfaced with those systems and within the last 8 years worked on them, but it was not the primary focus of the business or what we did. Would that somewhat limited work on alarm systems allow me to apply for Alarm II?
https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Ch...ctCode=1030&clientCode=0802&XACT_DEFN_ID=3725

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Just an FYI, I've heard South Carolina doesn't require a low voltage license for your type of work.

2nd hand info from a guy who runs a small low volt business doing sub work for Johnson Controls and Honeywell. Might want to check into that just to verify.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.