Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I agree.

A dishonorable discharge is like a felony conviction. It effects many things in a person's life, even things like getting a mortgage/loan.

I don't see why a potential employer can't ask.

The ones about drugs and alcohol are BS too. Petty American bullcrap making alcoholics a protected class.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
interesting that almost all government forms ask you those questions, yet they are illegal to ask from your employees.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,054 Posts
Yeah, I've started leaving a lot of questions blank when I fill out forms. Same with how everyone now asks for your phone number and e-mail address, y'all don't need that either.

But on topic, interviewers can still legally ask a lot of questions that indirectly compel someone to answer all those.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,475 Posts
GoldStarElectrical said:
Wow, didn't know that about a dishonorable discharge. Interesting.
Another thing about a Dishonorable discharge is that they can never work for the federal government and a company that employees a person with a DD is not authorized to receive a federal contract. You can bid it, but you can't get it. If they find out you have a DD person working for you they can cancel the contract. There are many things a person looses when they receive a DD. It can haunt them for life.

Also on the long form version of a persons
DD-214 There is a 3 letter code, it explains why a person is being discharged. That's a secret that most veterans don't know.

A "BCD", Bad conduct discharge or an "OTH" other then honorable discharge is a lot better then a dishonorable discharge.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,475 Posts
Here is a list of the "spin codes" on a military
DD-214.
It was provided to major employers many years ago to help them hire the "right" type of veteran.

www.landscaper.net/discharg.htm

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
A "BCD", Bad conduct discharge or an "OTH" other then honorable discharge is a lot better then a dishonorable discharge.
It was explained to me that the only people who get dishonorable discharges are people who committed very bad crimes or people who were complete sh1theads and not willing to work it out. I was told that most dishonorable discharges can be worked out to "other than honorable" discharge if you're willing to do what they want from you.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,475 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
It was explained to me that the only people who get dishonorable discharges are people who committed very bad crimes or people who were complete sh1theads and not willing to work it out. I was told that most dishonorable discharges can be worked out to "other than honorable" discharge if you're willing to do what they want from you.
Your correct in most respects. A Dishonorable is not an easy discharge to get. Most of them people were in deep trouble.
As for an upgrade later,, well that can only happen if they can "Prove" they didn't deserve what they received.
Once your out with a DD your stuck with it.
But it is not a felony conviction and your don't loose your rights as a US citizen.

·
Registered
31,169 Posts
About 80% of those questions are asked on medical forms. And I was told by the admitting nurse part of federal requirement.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Your correct in most respects. A Dishonorable is not an easy discharge to get. Most of them people were in deep trouble.
As for an upgrade later,, well that can only happen if they can "Prove" they didn't deserve what they received.
Once your out with a DD your stuck with it.
Don't they give you options to plead and change it to a higher discharge before they give you the dishonorable? That's how it was explained to me, but that is second hand info.

But it is not a felony conviction and your don't loose your rights as a US citizen.
You lose your rights to own a firearm, which is one of the most important Constitutional rights we have. I believe their are other rights lost as well.

A quick search showed this: "In many states a dishonorable discharge is deemed the equivalent of a felony conviction, with attendant loss of civil rights."

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
An employer should be allowed to ask any question they want. This is political correctness run amok.
Yes

If personal information is forwarded in confidence , and kept in confidence , then what is violated?

~CS~

·
Coffee drinking member
13,475 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
Don't they give you options to plead and change it to a higher discharge before they give you the dishonorable? That's how it was explained to me, but that is second hand info. You lose your rights to own a firearm, which is one of the most important Constitutional rights we have. I believe their are other rights lost as well. A quick search showed this: "In many states a dishonorable discharge is deemed the equivalent of a felony conviction, with attendant loss of civil rights."
They always want to prevent a person from getting a DD.. But they typically give it to only those who deserve it.
As for owning a fire arm, I've never heard that a person looses any of their constitutional rights..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts