Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A client has asked me to install 110v socket outlets in his factory for general power tools. Would you say the best way to do this is just to get site transformers and plug them into 230v supply's or is there an easier more effective way

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
there is no transformer that feeds a panel for office outlets?if so you could pick it up. what kinda plant is it?:blink::whistling2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The factory pre manufacture buildings then put them together on site. So they are using 110v drills and jig saws etc

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
that's what i thought you were in the uk. then you will need a transformer for 240 to 120 volts. depends on how much load there is a 10 KVA tranny would work , just would have to feed a breaker panel.:thumbup:

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
This is really timely... I recently heard that pro level power tools/any tools used on a building site must be 120v in the UK-true?

I heard it was for safety.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I thought you used special isolation transformers for this purpose in the UK? That being the case, you should hire someone who knows what they are doing.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
This is really timely... I recently heard that pro level power tools/any tools used on a building site must be 120v in the UK-true?

I heard it was for safety.
It is true...they use an isolated power system similar to what is used in hospitals over here. The 120 volts is derived from a center tapped transformer with 55 volts from phase to ground.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
The factory pre manufacture buildings then put them together on site. So they are using 110v drills and jig saws etc
If you're in the UK why are they using 120V tools in this factory.
It'd be MUCH easier to get the right tools for the job and for the location.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
This is a legitimate question, pro tools in the UK are 110v for some bizzare OSHA regulation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts