Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you test or tell if a sewage pump is 115v or 230v? the pump house that used to house the control was demo'ed and the 10-2 DB and 14-2 DB were rerouted under the crawl. Now ive got them in j boxes with wire running back to the panel but i dont know what the pump takes

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
Taylor618 said:
how can you test or tell if a sewage pump is 115v or 230v? the pump house that used to house the control was demo'ed and the 10-2 DB and 14-2 DB were rerouted under the crawl. Now ive got them in j boxes with wire running back to the panel but i dont know what the pump takes
Pull it and check. Or wire it to 120 and load check it. You're going to find out in 5 seconds if you're at half voltage or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull it and check. Or wire it to 120 and load check it. You're going to find out in 5 seconds if you're at half voltage or not.
I wired it up to 120 and it makes a noise a hum but i dont see the water going down and i amp clamped it and it is reading 13.3 amps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why? Because it should be pulling 6 or 7 Amps but because it's only getting 120 in one leg it is pulling twice the Amps

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
is there a name plate on the pump that you can get too? most sewage pumps, at least the big one's i've seen are 240 volt.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that's the thing it's full. So I either need to empty the task to pull the pump or deduce that it is poor isn't getting the proper voltage. I'm afraid to hook it up to 240 and blow it. But it seems like 14 Amps is allot for 115v pump if it is.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Well that's the thing it's full. So I either need to empty the task to pull the pump or deduce that it is poor isn't getting the proper voltage. I'm afraid to hook it up to 240 and blow it. But it seems like 14 Amps is allot for 115v pump if it is.
Had my stepbrother run my sawzall on 240V for few seconds. Still works. Go for it, I think 14A is too high as well. should pull half that.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
dronai said:
We are setting a step up transformer from 240V to 480V I think he said #2, so we will have to run 1 1/2 for a ways, and a ****load of controls
If it's a single set of #2s that'd be perfect for 1 1/4.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
If it's a single set of #2s that'd be perfect for 1 1/4.

I asked, he said 1 1/2, I thought the same thing. Hopefully that's the biggest we have to run. Worst part of this job is it's really old and dirty ! The place we just left was old and dirty !

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I wired it up to 120 and it makes a noise a hum but i dont see the water going down and i amp clamped it and it is reading 13.3 amps

If it don't go on 120v, then good chance it's 240v,
Try it and see !

If you dont want to take any chances, then you must find the name plate, Most motors have one somewhere.
Or even a brand name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts