Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
12/3 feeding two circuits with two GFIs

How would you wire this? This a kitchen and it needs two gfi's as there's two circuits but it's fed with just a 12/3. In this first box the black is feeding the first cir. and some other outlets. The red is tied to an other 12/3 that is feeding the second gfi in an other box. There's a dishwasher that needs to be on the line side from the second box as well as other outlets. How would you do this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shared neutral, 2-pole breaker in panel, wire like any other ckt. for a kitchen. My boss is a big fan of doing this, I'm not. The 3-wire that jumps off the original 12-3 home run to the dishwasher, you can't line/load that wire until you transition to 12-2.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
How would you wire this? This a kitchen and it needs two gfi's as there's two circuits but it's fed with just a 12/3. In this first box the black is feeding the first cir. and some other outlets. The red is tied to an other 12/3 that is feeding the second gfi in an other box. There's a dishwasher that needs to be on the line side from the second box as well as other outlets. How would you do this?
Is this a side job or for work?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is for work. My JW originally changed one of the double duplexes to two gfi's but that didn't work as the load wasn't were it was supposed to be. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure what was going on in the boxes and that I was a little confused. He told he to do it any way. We I thought I had it figured out and then he comes in and says move I'll do it my self. I was asking him where the neutral should be going and that's when he got all in a tizzy. We when I stepped away from the box I lost track of what was connected to what and he got even more bent out of shape cause I "tore stuff apart with out remembering what went where". So I'm trying to be a good apprentice and come up with solutions to this problem. The kitchen is a mess btw.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
This is for work. My JW originally changed one of the double duplexes to two gfi's but that didn't work as the load wasn't were it was supposed to be. I told him that I wasn't exactly sure what was going on in the boxes and that I was a little confused. He told he to do it any way. We I thought I had it figured out and then he comes in and says move I'll do it my self. I was asking him where the neutral should be going and that's when he got all in a tizzy. We when I stepped away from the box I lost track of what was connected to what and he got even more bent out of shape cause I "tore stuff apart with out remembering what went where". So I'm trying to be a good apprentice and come up with solutions to this problem. The kitchen is a mess btw.
There is no other way if it is a 12/3....well unless you just amalgamate it all onto one circuit....Your GFCIs will notice the imbalance right away. Your journeyman sounds like a real idiot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no other way if it is a 12/3....well unless you just amalgamate it all onto one circuit....Your GFCIs will notice the imbalance right away. Your journeyman sounds like a real idiot.
That's what I was thinking but hey I'm just an apprentice and don't know anything.

Oh he's something alright. If you ask him he's gods gift to the trade. And he makes his views very well known.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Box #1.

Connect both 12/3 whites and leave a pigtail.
Connect the 12/3 red to the outgoing 12/3 red. Cap the black
Connect the incoming 12/3 black and the white pigtail to line side of GFCI
Connect any outgoing protected load wires connected to load side.

Box #2

Cap the 12/3 black
Connect the 12/3 red and the dishwasher black to the line side of the gfci
Connect the 12/3 white and the dishwasher white to the line side of the gfci

You cannot wire the dishwasher to the kitchen counter receptacles.
Well,..... there's that :)

But he asked how to accomplish a specific task aso I didn't want to complicate it any further.

And, you can do it. Just not legally. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Box #1.

Connect both 12/3 whites and leave a pigtail.
Connect the 12/3 red to the outgoing 12/3 red. Cap the black
Connect the incoming 12/3 black and the white pigtail to line side of GFCI

Box #2

Cap the 12/3 black
Connect the 12/3 red and the dishwasher black to the line side of the gfci
Connect the 12/3 white and the dishwasher white to the line side of the gfci

Well,..... there's that :)
Well now I feel like an idiot....long day I tell you.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
He's "god" and I'm an apprentice.

Does it make a difference if this is not a new build or even a remodel but just adding gfi protection to the kitchen?
If the wiring is run (existing) then adding the gfci can only help so it would not be a violation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.