Electrician Talk banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Ground-fault detection is done all the time using only one CT that includes all 3 phase conductors and the neutral but not the ground. It's called 'Zero Sequence'.

Proper placement is key.

If properly installed, the CT will read zero current regardless of type of load but if any phase goes to ground, it'll read the fault current.
I have a quick question on the way my ground fault meter is wired in my T class vessel....I have the ground and neutral buses jumped together at the buses and that wire running through the ct. then I have the + from the ct going to the + of the meter, the other post on the ct goes to a test switch, from the other leg of the switch to the other post on the meter.

Is this the correct way? Please advise.

Bill

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I have a quick question on the way my ground fault meter is wired in my T class vessel....I have the ground and neutral buses jumped together at the buses and that wire running through the ct. then I have the + from the ct going to the + of the meter, the other post on the ct goes to a test switch, from the other leg of the switch to the other post on the meter.

Is this the correct way? Please advise.

Bill
Best I can say is to check the vendor documentation.

On my site, the ground and neutral are tied together at the xfmr secondary, and the 4-wire passes through the CT in a distribution panel downstream.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.