Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not an electrician but have a lot of experience with theatrical lighting and controls. This is a little crazy but bear with me:

We want to wire up a performer with a suit covered with 120VAC light bulbs for an outdoor performance in a park. The performer will be isolated from contact with all wiring through a thick synthetic suit. The bulbs will be powered by a mobile Honda 2KW generator that will be carried by another performer, a 14/3 SJO cord will connect the performer to the generator.

How can we ENSURE that the performer will not be harmed if water from random acts shorts the lighting (rain, someone throws a big gulp, etc)??? Will the generators built in GFCI handle this if the generator is not attached to a ground rod or grounded frame?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
I am not an electrician but have a lot of experience with theatrical lighting and controls. This is a little crazy but bear with me:

We want to wire up a performer with a suit covered with 120VAC light bulbs for an outdoor performance in a park. The performer will be isolated from contact with all wiring through a thick synthetic suit. The bulbs will be powered by a mobile Honda 2KW generator that will be carried by another performer, a 14/3 SJO cord will connect the performer to the generator.

How can we ENSURE that the performer will not be harmed if water from random acts shorts the lighting (rain, someone throws a big gulp, etc)??? Will the generators built in GFCI handle this if the generator is not attached to a ground rod or grounded frame?

This sounds like a very bad idea. But knock your self out or electrocute your self which ever comes first.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Just me say real quick here.,

Est-ce que vous êtes fous ?

{ Are you insane ? }

The safest way is go with 12 volts with LED bulbs with 12 volt supply C'est simple.

Merci.
Marc

·
Registered
249 Posts
I See this going on 60 minutes already....

Like the previous post's said. Dumb idea and gonna get someone killed

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Please, Use low voltage lamps. Dont electrocute your performer.

~Matt

·
Registered
7,525 Posts
If I could stick my pen in my heart
And spill it all over the stage
Would it satisfy ya, would it slide on by ya
Would you think the boy is strange? Ain't he strange?

·
Premium Member
19,266 Posts

The lamps would get way too hot wear at any length of time. I would suggest you go LED if you are thinking of doing the Electric Horseman thing.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
LA. It figures.

Reactions: oldtimer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.