Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
excuse my ignorance

but a new kenmore oven I was supposed to install requiring a 20 amp breaker had only 16 gauge wires for an install. I guess I was their third electrician to turn them down. anyone ever seen anything like this? or am i just wrong.

·
Estwing magic
27,556 Posts
excuse my ignorance

but a new kenmore oven I was supposed to install requiring a 20 amp breaker had only 16 gauge wires for an install. I guess I was their third electrician to turn them down. anyone ever seen anything like this? or am i just wrong.
Something's wrong here. Three electricians looking at an appliance hook-up would try to beat each other by a buck. I think we learn that in school.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Yeah, if it's an approved unit hook it up. In the days before stoves and dryers cane with cords... well they don't have #8 or #10 at their terminals. Appliance manufactures it seems always use special hi-temp wire.

Go back and get a cheque.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Why I run 15 amp circuits, the nameplate probably calls for 7-9 amp draw. You just threw $25 out the window .

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
excuse my ignorance

The area of your concern ends at the outlet.

If someone ran 16 gauge wire off a 20 amp breaker, you need to pull a new circuit.

If the 16 gauge wire is in the appliance, that's fine.
Seems odd for a 16awg connected appliance to need a 20A supply conductor and breaker, but it wouldn't bug me any. I'll hook it up if that thing passed certification.

Look at the temperature rating written on the 16 gauge conductor leads. Now look at the temperature rating of # 12 TW or THHN. The wiring coming out of the wall is rated 90*C, the wire out of the oven will at least be 150*C if not 325*C or more. Yes the wires in the appliance will run a lot hotter, but they can get away with it because the covering on the wires can be subjected to much higher temperatures without melting.

Most stand alone ranges fed with a 50 amps plug and #6 wire will often have #14 attached to the terminal block with it going down to 16 and 18 gauge to feed the cook top burners and oven elements after the thermostats/controls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.