Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it wise of me to be thinking of setting a 12' A frame ladder on top of a 6' high section of scaffold w/ planks) so I can remove a fixture?

Good idea, bad idea...?

A shiny new Alladin 200-pounder's going in it's place.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I'll loan you my 16' a frame.

·
Coffee drinking member
13,421 Posts
Take a picture.

I gotta do one soon. I only have a 12' a frame.
I do have a 24' extension that I can kinda aim up and tie off near the top. Mine is a couple new entryway lights on a sloped ceiling.

Like you I'm being lazy and don't want to get scaffolding.

Attachments

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
OSHA said:
1926.451(f)(15)
Ladders shall not be used on scaffolds to increase the working level height of employees, except on large area scaffolds where employers have satisfied the following criteria:
1926.451(f)(15)(i)
When the ladder is placed against a structure which is not a part of the scaffold, the scaffold shall be secured against the sideways thrust exerted by the ladder;
1926.451(f)(15)(ii)
The platform units shall be secured to the scaffold to prevent their movement;
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=10752

Personally, I don't think it's too great of an idea.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Rent an 18ft A frameladder for about $30. Live to work another day.
Yeah just make sure it's exactly 19'.
If your tall enough and it is truly 19' use a 16 only 3' from ceiling less chance of marking the ceiling bringing it in and out.

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts
Nah, not with the bracing. Just a pain to set up 2 sections alone. I might be being lazy. :whistling2:

Not lazy, you're just thinking about it wrong. I can setup three bucks of scaffold in about the same amount of time it takes you to drag that a frame up there on top of one buck. I can probably setup three bucks of scaffold in under 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts