Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
That's about what non-union shops pay now.
:no::no: Not the right way to represent our brotherhood. IMHO

We earnestly invite all workers belonging to our trade to come forward,
join our ranks and help increase our numbers, until there is no one
left working at our trade outside our Brotherhood . . ."

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
How in the fack did this turn into one of those "you suck because you're union/non-union threads?

We all know the story of what the labor conditions were in the '20's. Complete and utter hell for most construction workers. We know that the IBEW has helped to make huge strides in workers rights and safety since its inception in 1891. We also realize that the union continues to keep the wages and conditions in check and it directly benefits non-union shops by helping to keep the wages up for all us sparkies. If those wages and conditions begin to decline, the non-union guys will likely be first to feel that drop.

What everyone here should be smart enough to realize is that there are incredibly good sparkies on both sides of the proverbial fence, and that the name calling and finger pointing ONLY serves to make us all look like a bunch of whiny, juvenile kids.

C'mon guys get it together. If we all band together we can all work to the better good.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
ampman66 said:
That's about what non-union shops pay now.
. You couldn't be more wrong with that statement , if you tried , lol ! As a matter of fact some open shop guys get paid even higher wages than union because there's nothing taken out for union dues . Don't believe everything the local tells you , much like the government .

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
. You couldn't be more wrong with that statement , if you tried , lol ! As a matter of fact some open shop guys get paid even higher wages than union because there's nothing taken out for union dues . Don't believe everything the local tells you , much like the government .

Since I can't hit the thanks button twice...........THANKS drummerdude.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Since I can't hit the thanks button twice...........THANKS drummerdude.
. No problem man , but it irks me when people go around spouting misinformation ! I was fortunate enough to work for a legit . Open shop who paid they're workers whatever the prevailing wage was in the area we worked in . That translated to more money than I ever made being in the union . Now granted , I didn't have health coverage as good , or a very good 401K , or annuity , but take home was ridiculous ! The union likes to brainwash their members into thinking all non union contractors are " scabs " . Totally not the case .

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
How in the fack did this turn into one of those "you suck because you're union/non-union threads?

We all know the story of what the labor conditions were in the '20's. Complete and utter hell for most construction workers. We know that the IBEW has helped to make huge strides in workers rights and safety since its inception in 1891. We also realize that the union continues to keep the wages and conditions in check and it directly benefits non-union shops by helping to keep the wages up for all us sparkies. If those wages and conditions begin to decline, the non-union guys will likely be first to feel that drop.

What everyone here should be smart enough to realize is that there are incredibly good sparkies on both sides of the proverbial fence, and that the name calling and finger pointing ONLY serves to make us all look like a bunch of whiny, juvenile kids.

C'mon guys get it together. If we all band together we can all work to the better good.
...great post Rollie, and yes I'm union, but also realize we all have families to feed (union or non union).

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
. No problem man , but it irks me when people go around spouting misinformation ! I was fortunate enough to work for a legit . Open shop who paid they're workers whatever the prevailing wage was in the area we worked in . That translated to more money than I ever made being in the union . Now granted , I didn't have health coverage as good , or a very good 401K , or annuity , but take home was ridiculous ! The union likes to brainwash their members into thinking all non union contractors are " scabs " . Totally not the case .
...totally not the case. IMO, the union offers an opportunity to join a membership that fights for a common goal for all electrical workers; a decent wage, safe working conditions, an overall fair benefit package, and a brotherhood to boot.

·
Registered
31,890 Posts
A electrician I worked with had the scale from pre 1920 I forget what year the union scale was .52 cents an hour.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
360max said:
...totally not the case. IMO, the union offers an opportunity to join a membership that fights for a common goal for all electrical workers; a decent wage, safe working conditions, an overall fair benefit package, and a brotherhood to boot.
yes , they do all of that and in the process bash even legitimate non-union contractors . Part of the apprenticeship is teaching these young kids that anything non union is inferior . This absolutely happens . Maybe not in all locals , but it does .

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am at a complete loss as to how my thread became a 'union' vs 'non union'.

I was trying to show a piece of history, something I had learned on the net and found interesting. Its sad to see such nonsense going on. But then again, some people just cant resist.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
brother said:
I am at a complete loss as to how my thread became a 'union' vs 'non union'. I was trying to show a piece of history, something I had learned on the net and found interesting. Its sad to see such nonsense going on. But then again, some people just cant resist.
you can thank ampman 66 for that . Stupid statements like that , unfortunately push these threads in this unfriendly direction . I was stating facts based on my experience . I could care less whether someone is union or not ?

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I am at a complete loss as to how my thread became a 'union' vs 'non union'.

I was trying to show a piece of history, something I had learned on the net and found interesting. Its sad to see such nonsense going on. But then again, some people just cant resist.
You could have predicted that from the start! Don't bring up the issue of wages!!:laughing::laughing: Even though I'd never join the union, I'd work any day with some of the Union guys on here (only some) The militant ones would be a different story. Everyone has a right to their opinion. The union idea works great when there's a shortage of workers. Too bad your money has to go to support whatever party the Grand Poobahs happen to support though. Unless our current POTUS manages to totally wreck the economy before he retires, I think there's going to be a shortage of workers in the trades. I disagree with the idea that unions drive up the wage level. It may be true in the large cities etc. but not in a rural area.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts