Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are only a few neighborhoods in my city that are even close to old.

This one is from 1933.

The JB is a bit large but, it's what was on the truck :rolleyes:

The original service was probably 3 K&T fused circuits.

It was upgraded around the late 50's? to be able to install a new fangled air conditioner contraption, which all seemed to be 3 phase at that time.

I have not seen a panel like this before. There is only one bus finger attached to the high leg and there would have been one 3 pole breaker installed.

They sucked all the insulation out of the attic so I get to replace all the wiring.

And, it's a real attic that you can stand up in. Those are non existent here after 1930's

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
I've only seen a small handful of those high leg panels, the delta breakers were a lot more common, probably cheaper.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I think the panel looks good!

Usually attic work SUCKS but being able to stand up and no insulation almost makes it too easy!:jester:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow it sure is different in other parts of our beautiful country. Houses built in the 30s are very common around here, the average house being about 1955 in my estimation. Post WWII boom. Actually having the insulation removed from an attic would be a dream.......... Thankfully we don't do resi anymore, just our commercial customers homes etc.

TWN

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
There are only a few neighborhoods in my city that are even close to old.

This one is from 1933.

The JB is a bit large but, it's what was on the truck :rolleyes:

The original service was probably 3 K&T fused circuits.

It was upgraded around the late 50's? to be able to install a new fangled air conditioner contraption, which all seemed to be 3 phase at that time.

I have not seen a panel like this before. There is only one bus finger attached to the high leg and there would have been one 3 pole breaker installed.

They sucked all the insulation out of the attic so I get to replace all the wiring.

And, it's a real attic that you can stand up in. Those are non existent here after 1930's
:sleep1:

Good to see you still working----- ....... retirement....:thumbup::laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
What, no swamp cooler? :)

·
Wyome
757 Posts
Is it romex to the j-box and individual conductors to the panel? It seems like our inspector sometimes allows romex in the conduit and sometimes not. He won't give an exact length of what he will accept. He has passed 24" and a 2" LB on the outside.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I miss getting old rewire jobs like that. Those type of jobs not only do i enjoy they produce a decent profit.

Reactions: BuzzKill
1 - 20 of 23 Posts