Electrician Talk banner

2-2-2-4 cable

31K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Speedy Petey 
#1 ·
We are rewiring a residential remodel and the owner has decided to remove the ceiling for an exposed beam look.
We need to closely follow some of the existing spaces in the dwelling to conceal the feeder.
This means that running any type of conduit is out.
We don't see much of it here but I know some of you guys run a 2-2-2-4 cable from the exterior panel into the interior panel.
I realize that USE is only for underground and has no fire rating.
That leaves us with SE cable. I understand that SE can originate from an exterior panel when protected from physical abuse. I have to assume regular Schedule 40 PVC would be the best way to go.

My question for those with experienced with this wiring method:
Is 2-2-2-4 SE the proper cable to bring in for an interior sub panel?
My load calculation is just under 80 amps.

#2 ·
Just about every apartment complex around here has SER run from the outside service to the interior panel and most of the homes also which are not back to back service

#3 ·
Also the one thing to note is that here in Minnesota the AHJs require that the #2 AL SER be protected with a 90 amp breaker, not sure if you have to do that there but heard horror stories about ECs having to redo the wiring after the fact and costing big dollars and wanted to make sure you were aware just in case.

#4 ·
#2 ser may be compliant at 90 amps as long as the ser is not run thru insulation, ie if you can maintain the 75C rating. Otherwise the ser would be rated for 75 amps @ 60C

Sometimes it is better to avoid SER and just use PVC the entire distant and then use #2 xhhw or thhn

With the conduit you could use #1 al and get the sub up to 100 amps which leaves a bit more room for expansion

Reactions: pete87
#5 ·
I think I am OK with the #2.
I see that SER has a bare neutral. This to me, seems like there is no ground.
If so, this isn't for me as I will need to bring in a 4 wire cable from the meter main I have outside.
Does SER come in 4 wire?
I didnt see it in the Southwire description.

#7 ·
At this level of re-hab the owner ought to seriously consider 'false-work' to cover the feeder.

Faux beams can even be custom ordered. They are as light as a feather, secured to any exposed interior with cleats. (Carpenter-speak for mounting strips of wood that are screwed into the targeted surface -- later to become anchor points for the final (hollow -- feeder inside) fake-beam.

This treatment flies up into ceilings all across America, all the time. It beats knocking yourself out trying to dress cable around radii that are at the limit of NEC/ NEMA viability.

They are almost always a cheaper solution to the need... hence their popularity.

Back videos of This Old House and DIY shows display faux beams -- which can be self-crafted with any lumber in the lumber-yard by any carpenter.

To get the right 'look' it's not uncommon to erect 'false-walls' too. False walls are THE way to mount a flat screen TV in a rustic home setting.

Such schemes have been posted to YouTube by Wired, et. al.

Actually trying to get feeder cable to evaporate inside exposed beams -- good luck with that. It figures to be a nightmare -- especially when you find out that YOUR idea of a decent job/ decent look is NOT the owner's idea of how it's supposed to look.

You'll quickly find that just how 'picky' a customer can get determine whether you loose your shirt.

Be ware.

#16 ·
Again if the ser is rated 60C then technically #2 al is not rated for an 80 amp overcurrent protective device. Do I think it is an issue? NO and the inspector probably would never see it but I did have to state code.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.