Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever failed an inspection for using an aluminum GEC with typical bronze water pipe clamps?

The $2 bronze clamps don't mention being rated for aluminum so I have been buying the $5 aluminum clamps.

4 of them for each service change equals free lunch if I could get away with using the bronze clamps.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
250.8 and 110.3(B) taken together will require the clamps be listed for AL.
Yeah, it's definitely not code compliant.

But I was wondering if people were getting away with it. The same way we get away with using a PVC connector on the meter hub.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could get the Al clamps locally. But I have to order them online for $5 each and pay to have them shipped.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

But I was wondering if people were getting away with it. The same way we get away with using a PVC connector on the meter hub.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could get the Al clamps locally. But I have to order them online for $5 each and pay to have them shipped.
:D The real trick to going to resi from commercial is finding that line of what you can and cannot get away with.

I applaud your efforts, sometimes its tricky figuring it out.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:D The real trick to going to resi from commercial is finding that line of what you can and cannot get away with.

I applaud your efforts, sometimes its tricky figuring it out.
Dude, I'll do anything to save $12 :thumbup::laughing:

I was saying the other day how I save over $50 on a service upgrade just by buying some of the material from Home Depot instead of the supply house. It's exactly the same stuff too.

2" PVC LB
$8.24 @ Home Depot
$12.56 @ Grant

2" weatherhead
$8.86 @ Home Depot
$11.08 @ Grant

Grounding block
$15 @ Home Depot
$8 @ Grant

2" meter offset
$3.94 @ Home Depot
$7.88 @ Grant

Reducer Splice (3 needed)
$5.12 @ Home Depot
$11 @ Grant

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts

Just use a copper GEC?

What is the cost difference?

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just use a copper GEC?

What is the cost difference?
I think #4 Cu is around 75 cents per foot while #2 Al is about 26 cents.

If it was a short run I wouldn't care. But usually the water main is on the opposite side of the house and routing it there could take 50-80' of wire.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
I think #4 Cu is around 75 cents per foot while #2 Al is about 26 cents.

If it was a short run I wouldn't care. But usually the water main is on the opposite side of the house and routing it there could take 50-80' of wire.
I understand. Something we are not required to do here. Unless new/addition construction.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand. Something we are not required to do here. Unless new/addition construction.
You can upgrade a service and leave the old grounding? I thought the NEC required the grounding to be upgraded?

In NJ the rehab code allows up to replace a main panel and leave the old grounding. But if you change the whole service you need to upgrade all the grounding to current code.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
You can upgrade a service and leave the old grounding? I thought the NEC required the grounding to be upgraded?

In NJ the rehab code allows up to replace a main panel and leave the old grounding. But if you change the whole service you need to upgrade all the grounding to current code.
Our GEC on a service hits the ground rod and that is all that is required by our AHJ.

Now on additions/remodels, we are required to bond the gas and/or the water line.

I don't make the rules here, I just follow them.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The local supply house prices are really competitive compared to the big box stores and they service they offer really makes it worth doing business with them. And I would rather support a local guy than a big chain store.

They will also deliver any day of the week for free. I just place a stock order anytime I need to restock to keep going and they drop it off for me. As long as I get my order sent to them in the morning I will have it the same day. So if I do a 200 amp service I just reorder whatever I need and have it delivered.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I would ask at your local supply house if you need something that they don't have and if you do regular business with them then chances are they will get what you need. And for us the larger the order we give them the better our prices are. Buy in bulk and save more compared to what the big box can do.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The local supply house prices are really competitive compared to the big box stores and they service they offer really makes it worth doing business with them. And I would rather support a local guy than a big chain store.

They will also deliver any day of the week for free. I just place a stock order anytime I need to restock to keep going and they drop it off for me. As long as I get my order sent to them in the morning I will have it the same day. So if I do a 200 amp service I just reorder whatever I need and have it delivered.
I hear ya.

But we're talking about fittings and stuff, nothing that needs warranty or service.

If I can roll thru Home Depot every couple weeks and stock up on PVC offsets, LB's, weatherheads, reducers, etc. and then save $50+ on each service change, I'm happy to do it.

If I'm busy and I have nothing stocked and need to get it done now and don't have extra time, then I will just get everything from the supply house in 1 shot.

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
Yeah, it's definitely not code compliant. But I was wondering if people were getting away with it. The same way we get away with using a PVC connector on the meter hub. It wouldn't be so bad if I could get the Al clamps locally. But I have to order them online for $5 each and pay to have them shipped.
A PVC connector on the meter hub?? You mean not with PVC??

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
I think #4 Cu is around 75 cents per foot while #2 Al is about 26 cents. If it was a short run I wouldn't care. But usually the water main is on the opposite side of the house and routing it there could take 50-80' of wire.
I use # 2 al for my csst bond but I have to use the 23 dollar pipe clamps.

I don't run water ground because it's all pex

Can't use al for ground rods because of the 18 inch rule

·
Banned
4,506 Posts
DIYer4Life said:
You can't thread anything except for rigid into a meter hub since it's not listed. A petty thing that is always overlooked.

Hmmmmm never even gave that a thought.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I hear ya.

But we're talking about fittings and stuff, nothing that needs warranty or service.

If I can roll thru Home Depot every couple weeks and stock up on PVC offsets, LB's, weatherheads, reducers, etc. and then save $50+ on each service change, I'm happy to do it.

If I'm busy and I have nothing stocked and need to get it done now and don't have extra time, then I will just get everything from the supply house in 1 shot.
Definitely interesting to see how much prices vary from one place to the next I would not save enough to make the 45 min drive out there most of that stuff is not cheaper for us to buy at the home depot.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely interesting to see how much prices vary from one place to the next I would not save enough to make the 45 min drive out there most of that stuff is not cheaper for us to buy at the home depot.
Where I live, there is a Home Depot and Lowes within a 5 miles radius of just about anywhere.

You can literally drive on a highway for 8 minutes and pass 2 Home Depots.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts