Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mounting two disconnects on one plate is it ok. I thought I read somewhere that motor disconnects can no longer share a mounting plate like top photo. Was asked to put two smaller disco. On bottom photo. On one plate Is this still permitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mounting two disconnects on one plate is it ok. I thought I read somewhere that motor disconnects can no longer share a mounting plate like top photo. Was asked to put two smaller disco. On bottom photo. On one plate Is this still permitted.
Just thought I seen a discussion here that doesn’t permit two disconnects on one mounting plate. The first picture was an example of two Disco. On one plate second picture of where I’m mounting two motor disconnects on one plate.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,231 Posts
Never heard such a rule. Might be a local thing?

Reactions: oldsparky52

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Electrical code is not a design manual.
Not for design but to be able to identity a motor disconnect so that there is no confusion, everyone I work with says I’m crazy but I know I seen it here somewhere was added to the code in 2019 but I can find it in 430 just wish I would have screen shot it or at least reacted to it so I can find it on my feed, or maybe I just misunderstood. Oh well I’m here to surround myself around professionals so I’m sure someone will correct me. Will post outcome in future post.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not for design but to be able to identity a motor disconnect so that there is no confusion
Why would the disconnect not be clearly marked for the equipment it feeds? Especially on a new install or upgrade....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Never heard of such a requirement.
If that was something in the code then is it wrong to mount two disconnects on the same wall?

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,175 Posts
Years ago it was common to mount 2 or more disconnects together with nipples then pull wire through one into the next one. You are no longer allowed to do that.
Maybe that is the rule you are thinking of.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Years ago it was common to mount 2 or more disconnects together with nipples then pull wire through one into the next one. You are no longer allowed to do that.
Really? Is this code or just the job specs yoI are working under?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,175 Posts
Really? Is this code or just the job specs yoI are working under?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Im not good at code references but its to do with separate power sources using a disconnect or breaker panel as a raceway. I presume you can still daisy chain them using the same power source.

One of the few things i agree with as changing a disconnect that has been used as a raceway sucks.

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not good at code references but its to do with separate power sources using a disconnect or breaker panel as a raceway. I presume you can still daisy chain them using the same power source.

One of the few things i agree with as changing a disconnect that has been used as a raceway sucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not to be argumentative, but the reference is for switchgear.
And equipment mounted in switch gear.
I believe the disconnects are for servicing equipment, not service equipment.

·
Tool Fetish
742 Posts
The code sections you stated said one and two family dwellings. Are these pictures of dwelling units? I never heard of a limited quantity of disconnects on any one frame.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
22,828 Posts
I agree with everyone above. Article 230 is for services. Those discos are for motors not services.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts