Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never bend 2" emt on a 555 before or any thing that needed the foot pedal roller. I know that there is a pinch adjustment but I need some help clarifying how to adjust it.

When I am trying to bend 2" wheatland emt I am getting bad wrinkles inside the bend. From the manual I found online it looks like I need to increase the pinch but I am already getting marks on the side and it is making a fairly defined mark on the inside of the bend where it enters and exits the shoe. So I am confused on what to do.

Am I to concerned about the marks the shoe is leaving? I am going to tighten the pinch in the morning and play with it some more. Luckily I only have to make one offset but I don't have to much spare pipe.

Also how far back do you usually have to have the hook from the end to keep it from crushing? I tried to start with the pipe flush with the hook and it just folded up. When I went back a foot it didn't crush it then.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Are you sure you are getting the foot pedal locked all the way down?

Sometimes you have to spin the bender just until it starts putting pressure on the pipe, step on the foot pedal, release a little pressure off the pipe, then start putting pressure again and the pedal should very noticeably lock into place.

If you are certain you have the foot pedal locked all the way and youre still getting wrinkles, then increase the pinch a little at a time. It's normal to get marks and indentations from the bender on the pipe.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheatland is the brand and my experience with any Wheatland pipe is that it likes to wrinkle.

I am getting the rollers all the the way up. I will adjust the pinch and see what happens.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Jhellwig said:
Wheatland is the brand and my experience with any Wheatland pipe is that it likes to wrinkle. I am getting the rollers all the the way up. I will adjust the pinch and see what happens.
Any brand will wrinkle if there's a friction problem with the rollers or the shoe itself. I'd start with the squeeze adjustment at middle and work from there. The last lift of 2" I got was wheatland and not one of them kinked in the benders.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any brand will wrinkle if there's a friction problem with the rollers or the shoe itself. I'd start with the squeeze adjustment at middle and work from there. The last lift of 2" I got was wheatland and not one of them kinked in the benders.
I cant ever get Wheatland to not wrinkle in a hand bender. I hardly ever bend EMT on the 555 so I don't know much about bending EMT on them.

I adjusted the squeeze tighter by a half turn and that fixed the wrinkle. Then I had to bend my offset 3 times to find out where you have to stop for a 30 degree bend. The chart says 33 3/4 but you have to stop at 32.5 I found out.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
sbrn33 said:
Pony, do you use an 855? I have been thinking about getting one but my little 1818 does a great job and it is simple as helll.
Yeah I use an 855 and I like it. It's a little fussy but it's a great bender. If you're looking at used ones make sure the locking cam for the 1.5 and 2" rollers is working properly, it takes a lot of abuse and it's a bitch to repair if it breaks. I still use the 1818 a lot too especially if I have a bend that needs to be dead nuts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I cant ever get Wheatland to not wrinkle in a hand bender. I hardly ever bend EMT on the 555 so I don't know much about bending EMT on them.

I adjusted the squeeze tighter by a half turn and that fixed the wrinkle. Then I had to bend my offset 3 times to find out where you have to stop for a 30 degree bend. The chart says 33 3/4 but you have to stop at 32.5 I found out.
Wheatland is pretty craptastic for bending, especially when you need to put a bunch of bends on one stick. Although I usually only have wrinkling issues with the 1".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.