Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have 12/3 running into a sub panel. I wish to hook up my nu heat mat to the black wire (120v) and the red wire to a gfci outlet (120v). I wish to share the neutral. Sticky point is the thermostat of the nu heat mat is GFI protected, so in essence I believe I will have the gfci's sharing the neutral. And yes, I will be putting each one on separate breakers with a handle tie.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Hi,

I have 12/3 running into a sub panel. I wish to hook up my nu heat mat to the black wire (120v) and the red wire to a gfci outlet (120v). I wish to share the neutral. Sticky point is the thermostat of the nu heat mat is GFI protected, so in essence I believe I will have the gfci's sharing the neutral. And yes, I will be putting each one on separate breakers with a handle tie.
The electrician will probably be able to avoid that "sticky point" for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my understanding that I cannot share a neutral with 2 gfci's, but was wondering since that it is the thermostat that is gfi protected, it may allow me to share the neutral for the gfci for the bath outlet.

just trying to avoid running another neutral to the panel

however, my instinct tells me that if it walks and talks like a duck, then it probably is a duck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, existing contruction. however i did all the electrical work. customer is now remodeling a bathroom and I put some 12/3 in the attic off of the sub panel to pick up future work. just trying to figure out if we can hook up a heat mat on the black wire as the red wire will be used for the dedicated gfci

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
nope, existing contruction. however i did all the electrical work. customer is now remodeling a bathroom and I put some 12/3 in the attic off of the sub panel to pick up future work. just trying to figure out if we can hook up a heat mat on the black wire as the red wire will be used for the dedicated gfci
I wouldn't even try it. Run a new 12/2 and guarantee it.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.