Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,043 Posts
What you’re saying is not based in reality.

I’ve never once seen a green screw in a ground bar on a panel. It just doesn’t happen.

The only green screw is the one used as the main bonding jumper through the neutral bar.
Actually, green screws in a ground bar do happen. I have one sitting on my desk. When I have enough posts, I will post a picture.:biggrin:

Reactions: joebanana

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
5,043 Posts
Search google for images and follow. Plenty of images with green screws. They use the same bar for neutral and ground. Eaton also does this.

Square D has green screws in current Equipment Grounding Bar Kit # 40538-645-50.

Keep posting, I'll get to 20 posts yet!:biggrin:

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Cutler Hammer is the only panel manufacturer that I've seen with green screws in their ground bars.

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
So I was wrong, there are green screws in one panel's groundbar.

But that does not mean that the OP should have green screws in his ground bar or that they are necessary in any way.

The only green screw in most panels is in the neutral bar, and does not symbolize a ground bar.

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
Green to indicate a ground. Why are ground screws green on receptacles, and switches, ground pig tails, and other equipment? I didn't say "need", but it would be a clue as to whether it's meant as a bonded bus. My shop vac motor has a ground screw on the motor, even though there's no exposed metal anywhere on the unit. What's the purpose? And it is referenced in the NEC.
The only reference to a green screw I can find in the NEC is for the Neutral to Ground Bond IF A SCREW IS USED for this connection.

I do not believe the 10/32 for a ground pigtail needs to be green.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Panels are Listed Assemblies.

As such they can largely do what they want as long as UL and the rest are happy.

It's strictly by convention that a Long Green fastener is used to bond the Neutral rail inside the typical (residential) panel. It's not a convention seen in commercial ( 3-phase ) panels where it's presumed that the panel is not going to be bonded to the neutral. (Bonding was supposed to happen in the Big Grey Box.)

The green coloration is a helping tip for forgetful installers that it needs to be sunk or removed based upon its status. This REALLY comes in handy later, when a Service panel is demoted to sub-panel status. Then it's a whole lot easier finding the magic fastener.

·
Bootlegger
4,378 Posts
That's not a ground bar, its a neutral bar. And the green screw is only used as the main bonding jumper to bond neutral to ground if it is the service disco.

View attachment 133424
Neutral bars are nothing but isolated ground bars and can be used as ground bars. I don't think think the NEC defines what a neutral bar is, does it?

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Neutral bars are nothing but isolated ground bars and can be used as ground bars. I don't think think the NEC defines what a neutral bar is, does it?
The manufacturers differentiate between the neutral bar and ground bars. The NEC does as well, although they don't use the term neutral as we all know.

A ground bar does not require any green screws.

The only green screw you see in most panels is the one that is used to bond the neutral bar to the backpanel, becoming the main bonding jumper. Only then can you put grounds on the neutral bar.

·
Bootlegger
4,378 Posts
The manufacturers differentiate between the neutral bar and ground bars. The NEC does as well, although they don't use the term neutral as we all know.

A ground bar does not require any green screws.

The only green screw you see in most panels is the one that is used to bond the neutral bar to the backpanel, becoming the main bonding jumper. Only then can you put grounds on the neutral bar.

Nope.

Reactions: telsa

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz
Apparently the OP has AN IDIOT INSPECTOR telling him that he must, or for some reason is wondering if it's necessary.
As far as fiberglass panels, they have existed. I have seen 1 Square D Trilliant panel, which are no longer being made.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Fixed it for you.

Neither. I saw a guy doing it and asked what the hell he was doing that for. Never got a solid answer other than he was told to do it...only after he said the bars were a little loose. Now let's not use commonsense and maybe tighten them better. Not on specs, machine screws are being used and it shouldn't be done nor does it need to be done but I actually have seen a few people do it and I just shake my head

·
Registered
17 Posts
Trilliant panels were plastic and quite comon in my area. Nanticoke Homes, a local builder of modular homes used them until Square D had the good sense to discontinue them. I've changed a couple out and still have over 50 breakers and occasionally get the chance to sell one.
I didn't save any of the ground bars and can't remember what color the screws were though, lol.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrician
4,485 Posts
This is funny!
I just got called from an inspector that inspected a generator install that I did. I had to separate the grounds and neutrals in the main panel since it now a sub panel after installing a service rated ATS. He said since I added a ground bar in the panel I needed to run a jumper to the other bar. I asked him why and he said it changed in the 2017 but could only tell me its' in 250 somewhere!:vs_mad:

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
This is funny!
I just got called from an inspector that inspected a generator install that I did. I had to separate the grounds and neutrals in the main panel since it now a sub panel after installing a service rated ATS. He said since I added a ground bar in the panel I needed to run a jumper to the other bar. I asked him why and he said it changed in the 2017 but could only tell me its' in 250 somewhere!:vs_mad:
Clean this up. I can't figure out what you've posted.

Thanks.

Are you telling us that your gen-set is fundamentally different than Poco power?

41 - 60 of 74 Posts