Electrician Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
13,751 Posts
I just got called from an inspector that inspected a generator install that I did. I had to separate the grounds and neutrals in the main panel since it now a sub panel after installing a service rated ATS.
Makes sense, the ATS is the first means of disconnect and N is bonded to G there, so it must not be bonded anywhere else.

He said since I added a ground bar in the panel I needed to run a jumper to the other bar. I asked him why and he said it changed in the 2017 but could only tell me its' in 250 somewhere!:vs_mad:
He's probably full of **** but it might but seeing as he caught a real mistake I might just go along and run the jumper.

Clean this up. I can't figure out what you've posted.

Thanks.

Are you telling us that your gen-set is fundamentally different than Poco power?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,485 Posts
Makes sense, the ATS is the first means of disconnect and N is bonded to G there, so it must not be bonded anywhere else.

He's probably full of **** but it might but seeing as he caught a real mistake I might just go along and run the jumper.

Maybe I wasn't clear. The inspector didn't find that I didn't separate the grounds and neutrals, I knew that and had already done that. He saw that I added a ground bar because there wasn't enough space in the existing. He is trying to tell me that bonding the two ground bars is now required per the 2017 code. I don't see it anywhere.

·
Hackenschmidt
13,751 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear. The inspector didn't find that I didn't separate the grounds and neutrals, I knew that and had already done that. He saw that I added a ground bar because there wasn't enough space in the existing. He is trying to tell me that bonding the two ground bars is now required per the 2017 code. I don't see it anywhere.
Now I see. In that case, I might be tempted to roast his nuts, why not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
250.28(B) says if the MBJ is a screw it has to be green.

250.148 says clearly the EGC "shall be connected within the box OR to the box"
It's talking about boxes, but I don't see why a panel would be any different...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,048 Posts
250.28(B) says if the MBJ is a screw it has to be green.

250.148 says clearly the EGC "shall be connected within the box OR to the box"
It's talking about boxes, but I don't see why a panel would be any different...

Are you trying to tie 250.28(B) to 250.148 to say you have to use a green screw in a box?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you trying to tie 250.28(B) to 250.148 to say you have to use a green screw in a box?
Not at all. I quoted 250.28(B) in response to a post toward the beginning of the thread where somebody referred to a screw being used as the MBJ, and it specificies that the screw has to be green.
250.148 says the EGC has to be terminated in or to the box, the way I read that if you have 2 ground bars you don't need to put a jumper between them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
" I can guarantee the metal back box has more conducting surface area than a #6 AWG CU.

Common sense is leaving this trade in droves."

Boston Pedro,
You can say that again, you are at the top of the list!

The painted steel can will absolutely not conduct better than a #6 copper wire.
The can is not to be used as a conductor for anything, it is only to be bonded.
The screw connection to the can will not hold the ground fault short circuit current and will likely provide a high impedance bond that will not trip a circuit breaker.

Stop being lazy and consider how easy is is to put in the jumper, an ounce of prevention!

·
Registered
2 Posts
No jumper.

I would be beating any inspector that tried requiring that over the head with a piece of 500. If I'm in a good mood at the time, it'd be Al. :biggrin:

Might be better off finding another inspector, one who doesn't give a ****.

Would that same inspector not allow the use of AC or MCap cable? How about using that rigid as an EGC? :rolleyes:

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
2,227 Posts
" I can guarantee the metal back box has more conducting surface area than a #6 AWG CU.

Common sense is leaving this trade in droves."

Boston Pedro,
You can say that again, you are at the top of the list!

The painted steel can will absolutely not conduct better than a #6 copper wire.
The can is not to be used as a conductor for anything, it is only to be bonded.
The screw connection to the can will not hold the ground fault short circuit current and will likely provide a high impedance bond that will not trip a circuit breaker.

Stop being lazy and consider how easy is is to put in the jumper, an ounce of prevention!
"sometimes its better to stay silent and have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove that you are"

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,742 Posts
Two things I learned from you raising this thread from the dead. #1- Brian who while being a successful leader in the trade doesn't know shirt when it comes to code. and #2- Guys (inspectors) who post an official stamp as their avatar don't either............

61 - 74 of 74 Posts