Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get the SP units that can be combined to form a 2 pole? The units I get at local stores are limited to SP applications according to the packaging.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
Any ge sp afci can be used to make a dp with handle ties. The generation that you buy now is what you would use.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
Thank you Dennis.
You're welcome. I believe the reason that GE can do this is because they took the gfci out of the afci. All brands, except ge, have 30 ma of gfci built into their afci breakers.

Don't be confused because Sq. D and others soon to follow have afci breakers that will have 4-6ma gfci built in. These can be used to satisfy the new requirements in the 2014 NEC where afci and gfci are required. The 30 ma units will not satisfy those requirements.

·
Banned
652 Posts
You're welcome. I believe the reason that GE can do this is because they took the gfci out of the afci. All brands, except ge, have 30 ma of gfci built into their afci breakers.

Don't be confused because Sq. D and others soon to follow have afci breakers that will have 4-6ma gfci built in. These can be used to satisfy the new requirements in the 2014 NEC where afci and gfci are required. The 30 ma units will not satisfy those requirements.
Do you know if GE will make an AFCI that will have the 4-6ma Gfci protection?

·
Can't Remember
11,077 Posts
I can't see any manufacturer not follow suit with '14 requirements. These lend themselves to retrofit/repair situations as well as new. I can already see the use for these in the housing units I work on.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.