Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across something today in the field and I cannot wrap my head around it.. Hopefully someone can help.. They call it a 2 wire drop.. It involves a 2 wire (H,N,G), and two 3 wire (H,H,N,G) coming into a box. The box will hold a receptical that the top is on a switch and the bottom stays hot. The part that confuses me. Is they had the neutral (I believe, Or it might have been the other way around) tied in with the hots (black).. Apparently, this will bring power to the switch and back to the box? I need to know how it works and why.. Thank you guys for bearing with me..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i belive what you have is a switch loop.so when you come back the switch there will be a black to tie to the outlet. i may be wrong though. if i am someone will be along to correct me.:thumbup::whistling2:

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I came across something today in the field and I cannot wrap my head around it.. Hopefully someone can help.. They call it a 2 wire drop.. It involves a 2 wire (H,N,G), and two 3 wire (H,H,N,G) coming into a box. The box will hold a receptical that the top is on a switch and the bottom stays hot. The part that confuses me. Is they had the neutral (I believe, Or it might have been the other way around) tied in with the hots (black).. Apparently, this will bring power to the switch and back to the box? I need to know how it works and why.. Thank you guys for bearing with me..
You encountered something on the lines of this..its just a switch loop.

download.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did your journeyman say when you asked him?
He pretty much told me I'll eventually learn it.. But really, today was when I should of learned it when I made up that box.. However, I believe it was a switch loop.. Because in another instance my power came into a celing box and a feed that went to my switch had the neutral tied in to feed the switch and my hot as my switch leg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts