Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would appreciate your input on this. I am estimating on a job that involves feeding two 30A MCCs from one 60A feed (outdoors). I was going to give two options depending how much cost is a factor.

Option 1: running 6/3 teck from elec room (fused 60A) to 60A rated disconnect feeding 70A splitter. Out of splitter, two seperate fused 30A disconnects to feed individual MCCs with 10/3 teck.

Option 2: No splitter, no 30A disconnects, same 60A disc. Install two individual 10/3 teck cables to load side of disconnect (two #10s per lug). I was going to make sure the control panels were within 7.5m of the disc as per CEC tap conductor rules. I will then install a fuse block in each control panel since they are not already fused inside (30A max).

Everything Nema 3R

I like option 1. Does anyone see a problem with option 2?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, the picture attached is of a 30A disc installed in a similar way (2 #14s per load lug) just an example pic I found. By the way everything is 600V 3 phase. Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
electricsugarman said:
Hello, I would appreciate your input on this. I am estimating on a job that involves feeding two 30A MCCs from one 60A feed (outdoors). I was going to give two options depending how much cost is a factor. Option 1: running 6/3 teck from elec room (fused 60A) to 60A rated disconnect feeding 70A splitter. Out of splitter, two seperate fused 30A disconnects to feed individual MCCs with 10/3 teck. Option 2: No splitter, no 30A disconnects, same 60A disc. Install two individual 10/3 teck cables to load side of disconnect (two #10s per lug). I was going to make sure the control panels were within 7.5m of the disc as per CEC tap conductor rules. I will then install a fuse block in each control panel since they are not already fused inside (30A max). Everything Nema 3R I like option 1. Does anyone see a problem with option 2?
Personally no.
But doubt switch is approved for two wires under one lug.
I know with tens twisted together then tighten down no worries but don't know what inspections opinion would be

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,268 Posts
Besides being hackish, unless the lugs are approved for multiple wires,you can't double lug.
I have only seen approved oval shaped lugs on larger sized equipment.
Besides, option one will have more profit (unless you quoted using option 2)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts