Plant Hood Glove Wood Automotive tire

Plant Wood Building Grass Roof

Window Building House Tree Roof
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
View attachment 170900

Better known as vulcan (Rubber) tape. In the old days everyone used this and then wrapped friction tape around it for protection.
I remember friction tape first so no sharp edges and so that the rubber does not form into the bug nuts. Then the rubber tape then more friction and then top it off with electrical tape. I still like a bug nut over the Polaris taps.

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
Now that sound's just like my old partner, except he was so cheap he would just use tomics and friction tape. Then wait for the connection to fail, then have the utility come out and reterminate it. Nothing but the best.
That was the gold standard back in the 1970's.

· Registered
3,565 Posts
I remember friction tape first so no sharp edges and so that the rubber does not form into the bug nuts. Then the rubber tape then more friction and then top it off with electrical tape. I still like a bug nut over the Polaris taps.
When using split bolts in a motor jb I always use friction for the first layer, then splicing tape, then some 88. I'm sure the motor shops coming after me down the line hate it but I haven't had a failure doing it that way.

Not using polaris taps in a motor junction box is a hill I will die on.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts