Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have done my services so far, I have not needed to use SE cable. I ran PVC out the bottom of the meter socket. The next service I do (200 amp) I will be having to use SE cable to run from the bottom of the meter socket into the house. Since there is no room for a conduit as it goes directly through a wall. I noticed that all the SE cable I found was 4 conductor (4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0). 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. I consider this 4 wire SE cable. The inspector said I have to use 3 wire SE cable. I have not been able to find a 3 wire SE cable. Am I looking at this the wrong way? As far as I know the ground is counted as a conductor when counting conductors in SE cable. Please advise. Thank You.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
In a single phase residential installation, 4/0 4/0 4/0 2/0 isn't just SE cable anymore, but SER cable. Your meter socket would have to have a main breaker in it and the grounding and bonding performed there, and would be considered the main panel - which is required under code now if your area has adopted the most recent code, if you intend on running a 4 conductor SER cable from the meter. Your interior panel would have to be a subpanel at that point, with separate neutral and ground bars, and wired as a subpanel. You should consult your journeyman, your licensed contractor, take a code update course, something like that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts