Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
We just adopted the 2005 for other than 1 & 2 family.

I hope we NEVER adopt the 2008!

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Petey,
I stand corrected. Your are right. The 2007 RCNYS is based on the 2002 NEC.
What is not in the RCNYS is referenced to the 2002 NEC. There is little difference
between the RCNYC electrical section & the 2002 NEC. Table E3503.1 is not in the NEC & has caused a lot of problems for contractors who only use the 2002 NEC.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts
To be honest I never noticed that. I use parallel 4/0 for 320/400A services and never even questioned it.
Our POCO "strongly discourages" it, but until it is made illegal it is MUCH easier to simply run two separate sets of 4/0 to two panels as opposed to one run of 500's to a gutter and splicing. MUCH cleaner and neater too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
EC's had been using 4/04/02/0 triplex (sweetbriar) in parallel for 400 amp UG services. Those that were install had to be replaced or the mains downed sized.
You could use triplex from meter to panels, but not from POCO
to meter. 4/0 can be used for commercial, which makes no sense.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No we didn't. Who told you this?
We adopted the 2007 NY Residential Code.
This is verbatim based on the 2003 IRC, which is based on the 2002 NEC.

http://www.dos.state.ny.us/CODE/part1220.htm
http://ecodes.iccsafe.org/iccf/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=icc:ny
I can't open those pages (probably my computer).

Can someone tell me the DATE that the 2005 code was adopted? Inpector seems clueless.

The job was a commercial pool for a summer camp. Inpector wants pumps GFI'd, saying he uses the 2008 NEC.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't open those pages (probably my computer).

Can someone tell me the DATE that the 2005 code was adopted? Inpector seems clueless.

The job was a commercial pool for a summer camp. Inpector wants pumps GFI'd, saying he uses the 2008 NEC.

I think 1/1/08 for the 05 NEC for commercial. If the pumps are connected
by a receptacle, they have to be GFCI protected.

·
Premium Member
11,794 Posts

The job was a commercial pool.........., saying he uses the 2008 NEC.
If he is using the 2008 NEC someone in his office is clueless!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If he is using the 2008 NEC someone in his office is clueless!
I agree.

Speaking to the inspector was like talking to Forest Gump.

I told him that NYS adopted the 2005NEC on 1/1/08.

He said something like "they gave me the 2008 book and said that's what I should use"

I didn't bother asking who 'they' was. Didn't think the conversation would go anywhere.

Ignorance is bliss. I just don't think ignorant people should have positions of authority.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree.

Speaking to the inspector was like talking to Forest Gump.

I told him that NYS adopted the 2005NEC on 1/1/08.

He said something like "they gave me the 2008 book and said that's what I should use"

I didn't bother asking who 'they' was. Didn't think the conversation would go anywhere.

Ignorance is bliss. of I just don't think ignorant people should have positions authority.

I agree.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.