Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Never had to design a setup like this. House is 300+ feet back from the road, BC Hydro will go over head to a private pole. I want to supply house with a duplex meter base mounted on the detached garage as it would be ugly and probably not do-able to mount a duplex meter to a pole.

Question is are we allowed to take conduit straight from the pole entrance head go underground and straight to the meter base mounted on garage? I don't see any issue with this as all service conductors are located outside. But I have never seen this done, always seen single meter mounted on private pole.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh Canada!

BC Hydro - new electrical connections

Underground

You need to get the site engineer out there, and pitch the idea, I thought I read 30m limit from drop in underground till meter reading.

Beside when is it not good to have the chief POCO's guy personal number... :)
Thanks for chipping in. You sure you read 30M limit from drop to meter? and not 30M max to overhead attachment point?

Im definately going to get in touch with a BC Hydro designer but they take weeks to reply sometimes I have to quote this house within the next few days.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
all MO

I can't help you on the Canadaian Code side,

But State Side, grouping of meters ususally happens, to say the least (MO)
the second meter would be odd, unless a rental space.
SS everyone would have to be on board other than the owners desires.

You want the Chief Supervisor of Field Operations, or the one that will OK
this install. You might Call you local AHJ first (besides he might give you
a name of the local POCO Rep.) and get them both out their for a group hug...
blessing and etc., etc...

You have to remember that you have to get past the (secret keeper) secretary
so be calm with them!

Go Luck sound fun!

PS: besides you have time, can you dig in this ice wave? :blink:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the duplex meter base for? Does the garage need its own service?

What if you just built a little "dog house" near the pole at the edge of the property for the duplex base, and ran Teck or ACWU from there?
The garage has a home office above that owner wants individually metered. The main house i would feed from the second meter mounted on detached garage.

If i made a dog house i would probably be spending a lot more on on acwu and with the voltage drop would have to up the awg . 200a lugs usually can take 250kcm max too so that might be a problem

·
Registered
343 Posts
On the Gulf Islands B.C. Hydro always demanded that the meterbase be placed on the pole.Other parts of B.C. they will allow you to put the meter base on the house but then you are required to have a disconnect on the dip pole.Mind you things might have changed lately.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, I've figured it out. I don't know why I didn't realize I can set it up this way before.

Im going to make sure its 100% still to code but I just went to a customers house today that has a pole for the service to connect to, and has two individual meters mounted right on his pole! Freaking genius!!!!

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Hey guys, I've figured it out. I don't know why I didn't realize I can set it up this way before.

Im going to make sure its 100% still to code but I just went to a customers house today that has a pole for the service to connect to, and has two individual meters mounted right on his pole! Freaking genius!!!!
I was going to say, why not mount 2 completely separate individual services, one on each side of the pole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.