Electrician Talk banner

2013 NEC Main Service Grounding Requirements Now In Effect In Los Angeles

9K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jward1357@gmail.com 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just a heads up for anyone looking for information on grounding requirements for new main electrical services and electrical panel upgrades in Los Angeles on existing (and new) buildings:
Los Angeles City is now requiring the use of two ground rods, in conjunction with the cold water grounding electrode.
This requirement went into effect (officially) in January 2015.
And if you really want to make your inspector happy, regardless if you connected your cold water grounding electrode in front of the water regulator, use a bonding jumper.
We performed a main electrical panel upgrade in Los Angeles a couple of months ago and as it has always been, only one ground rod was required
I installed another main panel upgrade in Los Angeles a month later and got called for the second ground rod as a new requirement.

There always seems to be some confusion as to what an inspector will require for grounding.
The previous head inspector at LADBS only required one rod and you could connect to the nearest cold water pipe, provided that the panel was an upgrade on an existing home.
And I received that information, because I called code verification for clarification after one inspector told me that he would have accepted the cold water connection at the nearest cold water pipe, while on another job the inspector wanted it within 3' of the main water valve.
But now change comes with the new head inspector... (wants the cold water ground clamp has to be within 5 feet of the main water valve) and a bonding jumper across the the water regulator, even if you're connected in front of it.

Mj

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a heads up for anyone looking for information on grounding requirements for new main electrical services and electrical panel upgrades in Los Angeles on existing (and new) buildings:
Los Angeles City is now requiring the use of two ground rods, in conjunction with the cold water grounding electrode.
And if you really want to make your inspector happy, regardless if you connected your cold water grounding electrode in front of the water regulator, use a bonding jumper.
We performed a main electrical panel upgrade in Los Angeles a couple of months ago and as it has always been, only one ground rod was required
I installed another main panel upgrade in Los Angeles a month later and got called for the second ground rod as a new requirement.

There always seems to be some confusion as to what an inspector will require for grounding.
The previous head inspector at LADBS only required one rod and you could connect to the nearest cold water pipe, provided that the panel was an upgrade on an existing home.
And I received that information, because I called code verification for clarification after one inspector told me that he would have accepted the cold water connection at the nearest cold water pipe, while on another job the inspector wanted it within 3' of the main water valve.
But now change comes with the new head inspector... (wants the cold water ground clamp has to be within 5 feet of the main water valve) and a bonding jumper across the the water regulator, even if you're connected in front of it.

Mj
www.acustomelectric.com
There is no 2013 NEC, and it's been in the NEC for a while. Here in MN, we've been on 2014 NEC since 7-1-14

#3 ·
I honestly cannot remember when I installed one ground rod, except for downcomers on poles. If the cost of a ground rod and 12' of #6 and an extra acorn breaks the bank, it ain't workin out. Please post a link to the 2013 tho, I would really like to see that. thx

#7 ·

Mj
Sounds like nobody in LA has a clue as far as the NEC is concerned. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
The requirement for 2 rods has been around for awhile but many jurisdictions never enforced it. I think it goes back into the 1980's at least. Of course if you have 25 ohms then only one rod is needed.

I believe even the 1937 NEC talked about 25 ohms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.