Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,511 Posts
I'm in search of a 2014 electrical code book, the cheapest I've found it so far is 89.99. Any other place that may have it cheaper or someone on the forum with one for sale?
Since the 2014 just came out I doubt you will find one for sale that isn't thru a supplier. Unfortunately the book is expensive.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
The book is really expensive. Thankfully my work paid for me to have the both the code book and the handbook.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
You need to go to the Super-Secret Electrical Supply House that Sells Everything at 80% off Every Day.

Of course the NEC costs a lot. It has to since it's NFPA's biggest seller. It needs to pay for the 200-odd other standards they write that sell, at best, a hundred copies every edition.

BTW, theSuper-Secret Electrical Supply House that Sells Everything at 80% off Every Day is located at the Greyhound Bus station, through the lobby, past the Men's Room, third door along. Sign on the door states, "Boiler Room". Knock three times, pause for two seconds, then cough twice. Bruno or Vinny will let you in. Tell them "Carlos the Cutter" sent you.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
You need to go to the Super-Secret Electrical Supply House that Sells Everything at 80% off Every Day.

Of course the NEC costs a lot. It has to since it's NFPA's biggest seller. It needs to pay for the 200-odd other standards they write that sell, at best, a hundred copies every edition.

BTW, theSuper-Secret Electrical Supply House that Sells Everything at 80% off Every Day is located at the Greyhound Bus station, through the lobby, past the Men's Room, third door along. Sign on the door states, "Boiler Room". Knock three times, pause for two seconds, then cough twice. Bruno or Vinny will let you in. Tell them "Carlos the Cutter" sent you.

I would hope they are raking in afci bribe money. If not, I have lost my faith in the intelligence of mankind.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I haven't been doing electrical work very long, but I find it strange that the 2014 NEC handbook is smaller than the 2008 one.

Do they remove things from the code often? For example in the 2008 NEC it states in 310.3 that ""Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded." I have looked in my 2011 and 2014 code books and I cannot for the life of me find a 310.3 in either of them.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on this.

/thread sidetrack

$80 is really expensive?

Our CEC book is double that. Even at double, it's still not expensive.
It's expensive for me haha. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive, but I am a cheap man. I consider spending $15 for lunch at a nice restaurant expensive. Oh and the handbook, if you wanted one instead of the code book, is roughly 165-190 depending on where you get it.

The most I have spent on books, outside of college textbooks that my work helps pay for, is "Troubleshooting and Repairing Major Appliances", really nifty book for $60.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I haven't been doing electrical work very long, but I find it strange that the 2014 NEC handbook is smaller than the 2008 one.

Do they remove things from the code often? For example in the 2008 NEC it states in 310.3 that ""Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded." I have looked in my 2011 and 2014 code books and I cannot for the life of me find a 310.3 in either of them.

Maybe you guys can shed some light on this.

A lot of times they move the article. Look at 310.106 (C)

(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
A lot of times they move the article. Look at 310.106 (C)

(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.
Oh lord I read right past it last night. Thanks man.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
It's expensive for me haha. I know in the grand scheme of things it's not that expensive, but I am a cheap man.
Money is easy come, easy go and you can't take it with you at the end.

$80 for a 3 year book is $26/yr. In a year, you make what, $40k-60k? $26 to make $60,000 is a pretty good investment.

$26/year is $2/month or FIDDY CENTS a week or $0.10 per work day.

C'mon, buy the book and be happy it doesn't cost a lot more. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
mdnitedrftr said:
Yes. My '08 book is almost the same as my '11. In actuality Im paying $80 for a few new pages.
Don't feel bad. I paid full price for the '11 only to find out my state decided not to adopt it and is going to skip straight to the 2014!!!! Might as well just flushed the $$$ down the toilet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.