Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Contractors in my area (Ohio) shouldn't be too worried about the 2014 code... Ohio, in it's infinite wisdom, probably won't adopt it until around 2020.

Ohio used to adopt the NEC every 3 years, as published, but politics have become involved and now we really have no clue when they will adopt the "next" edition.

Pete

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Contractors in my area (Ohio) shouldn't be too worried about the 2014 code... Ohio, in it's infinite wisdom, probably won't adopt it until around 2020.

Ohio used to adopt the NEC every 3 years, as published, but politics have become involved and now we really have no clue when they will adopt the "next" edition.

Pete
Wisconsin is just now ready to switch to the 2011 we are being told. Nobody really has an exact date, but that is what they are saying at the code classes.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Wisconsin is just now ready to switch to the 2011 we are being told. Nobody really has an exact date, but that is what they are saying at the code classes.
Yea.. nothing like being a few years behind..:rolleyes:

Ohio, as I see it, will continue to delay adoptions as long as lobbyists control the decision.

Pete

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I actually see it in reverse (but you probably know more than me about the adoption process). I see each code cycle, the cost of electrical work increasing to the point that homeowners would rather risk it and do the work without permits, whether it be themselves, a handyman, or a side job. I think they are stupid, but that is what is happening.

It also gives our state inspectors time to hear how these changes are going in states that do adopt the new code. Then they can make some "logical" amendments.

Then you have the recent issue of code requiring equipment that (arguably) hasn't been fully field tested [read:AFCIs]. We give it a little more time to have them work the bugs out. It's kinda like a new computer operating system. I won't by the newest Windows or update my iPhone until the unexpected consequences are worked out.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.